Advertising

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by gce_ent, Mar 14, 2006.

1. gce_ent

gce_ent LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I am just getting into the business and have basically completed all due diligence that I can think of....however, I am about to run out 35,000 door hangers and am just wondering how successful they will actually be. I have heard anywhere from 25 to 30 per 10k from several sources but was curious to your experiences. Along with door hangers I will also be sponsoring soccer teams, baseball teams and using other forms of advertising.

I appreciate your responses :usflag:

2. cwlawley

cwlawley LawnSite Senior Member

Not sure how it is in Texas but I am in North Carolina. I have given out about 800 so far this year and recieved about 25-30 calls, which about half were really good.

3. gce_ent

gce_ent LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Well here in TX the neighborhoods are very big and the competition is all over the place. I have targeted 3 specific regions where 15k of door hangers will not even cover all the homes. The ratio you gave sounds much better than what I am expecting and I do hope to have your results... but if so I will have to shell out some cash to handle the capacity.

4. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping LawnSite Senior Member

If you haven't already tried the search for "doorhangers". It been discussed alot latley since it's that time of year. What everybody seems to say is a 1-5% call back rate. On 35000 hangers that would be 350-1750;)
    Wonder how true this is. I'll be handing out 2500 this year for the first time, so I'll find out myself soon enough.

5. gce_ent

gce_ent LawnSite Member
    from Texas

Well if that is common then I am going to be in trouble. I would like to have 300 regular customers and then 150 not so regular customers. I will post what happens here. The first 15k get dropped by weeks end.

6. B&D Lawn Care

B&D Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

How big of a crew are you running?

7. Luvs2Play

Luvs2Play LawnSite Member

60 per day just starting out? What do you have for equipment?

8. B&D Lawn Care

B&D Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

That's what I'm talking about!!!

9. gce_ent

gce_ent LawnSite Member
    from Texas

After reading these boards and talking to various companies around my residence I have chosen commercial equipment over your typical residential types. Honestly I am not going to get into the brands of the equipment because I don't want to start a debate over whether or not I chose wrong or right. It is equipment many people on this site is using.

I have set up two crews of 3 people each to both run, hopefully, 30 lawns a day for 5 days a week. That is unless they can handle 45 lawns a day and take off Fridays. I will have to see how they perform. Regardless of how many door hangers I put out I am sure it will still take some time to ramp up to my ultimate goal and possibly a second run of the 35k in a month.

I look to take on HOA, Realtors and HUD lawns as well to get some solid accounts but I figure I will cut my teeth on the residential types for now.

Because I know the areas where the ads will be dropped very well I have considered a new way of charging customers and am interested in your thoughts... $1.25 a minute with a 18 minute minimum and a 35 minute maximum. This will put me in my desired range of revenue per yard each pass and will at times be cheaper but allow for a more expensive cut at other times. I am also going to accept all major credit cards. I would like to bill upfront for the month on a month to month basis and the cc receipt with a work order as the customers garauntee that the work will be performed. Of course this depends on the sales ability of me and my other manager.

Anyway, any thoughts are more than welcome.

10. gce_ent

gce_ent LawnSite Member
    from Texas

I was hoping to gather some feedback on my per minute fee plan. Any thoughts?