Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Larson Lawn Care, Oct 30, 2006.

1. Larson Lawn Care

Larson Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have 65 lawns this season...I plan to advertise to pick up at least 60 new residential lawns, (the more the marrier) I was wondering what the best form of advertising has been for other lawn care businesses? I plan to advertise in the yellow pages, newspaper, mailers, flyers, and yard signs, and what ever else. I need forms of advertising that will get me these lawns for the beginning of next season...please help!
  2. Waterscapes By Design

Waterscapes By Design LawnSite Member

65 is a damn good start, I would stay away from the yellow pages and possibly think about a direct mailer or just walking a neighborhood and putting flyers on everyones door....Marketing is necessary, but try to keep the expenses down. If you absolutely have to post in the yellow pages, maybe think about instead. Its a bit cheaper and they also build a website for you! Lots of people are starting to go that route it seems and its better if you get in early before your ads just run the same as everyoen elses...Signs, door-hangers, are cheapest and do plenty good.
  3. Classified

Classified LawnSite Senior Member

yeah 65 is nice. im praying for 70 this 2007 season.

i would spread the word as much as possible word of mouth is ideal but door hangars may be an option as well
  4. Larson Lawn Care

Larson Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I have learned that word of mouth is a great way to advertise...I am offering my current customers two free cuts for refering me to a new customer. I will try the mailers, door hangers, and I will look into!
  5. Classified

Classified LawnSite Senior Member

I was going to do the same thing with the 2 free cuts. Should promote word of mouth for at least my first 2 years of business.

JKOOPERS LawnSite Bronze Member

hey classy did u get the contract i sent ya ?

PMLAWN LawnSite Gold Member

With 65 accounts you do not need to spend any more money. like the others have said. your best advertising are your currant customers.
  8. ozd12005

ozd12005 LawnSite Senior Member

A mass amount of flyer's will generate calls
  9. Prestige-Lawncare

Prestige-Lawncare LawnSite Senior Member

Wow ... I never question other peoples strategies or business practices ... but two free cuts? That is a LOT to pay for a new customer. On my lawns ... that would be anywhere from $80. - $100. for a new customer.

I would do discounts ... maybe a couple of 20% off for the existing customer, and a couple of 20% off with a signed deal with the new customer. This is a great deal for both ... yet not such a hit for you.

I also agree with one of the above posters ... once you reach a certain level ... word of mouth and neighbors of your existing customers usually will bring you as many new customers as you want. Just remember ... don't get too big as to where you quality of service drops. It is a two way door, and customers can (and will) leave just as fast as you get them.

And that's my .02ยข worth

10. Waterscapes By Design

Waterscapes By Design LawnSite Member

I wasnt even gonna say anything about the 2 free cuts. BUUUUT, since someone else did I am going to second his motion....

2 free cuts in my opinion is just too much work for free, I may offer 1 free cut, or do like he said and just give a 20-25% discount, much better for everyone all around.

More customers equals more work, which in turns takes more time-money-effort-overhead, dont give those services away, it will cost a lot more than just money to you and your company. ESPECIALLY in the summer months.