1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by bigkyle, Jan 22, 2007.

1. bigkyle

bigkyle LawnSite Member

Hi im here in rochester ny and was woundeirng how people advertise and find the most success. I want to hear from anyone and if anyone from my area has any tips please let me know.thanks
  2. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

Just advertise period. Most of your competitors won't
  3. toac

toac LawnSite Senior Member

Door hangers, flyers, mailers....just get your name in front of people.

Door hangers work great, but you have to spend the time passing them out.
  4. bigkyle

bigkyle LawnSite Member

i there a big diff between door hangers and fliers
  5. STL Ponds and Waterfalls

STL Ponds and Waterfalls LawnSite Bronze Member

Doorhangers are nice since you just hang them on the door. Fliers you have to roll them up and use a rubberband to attach them to the door. You could buy plastic doorknob bags to put your fliers in but that can be time consuming. DH's you design it, print it, open the box, and start hanging. Do a seach and see what methods will work best for you. What works for one might not work for another.
  6. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

I agree! Dont be afraid to spend a little money to get your name out there. Once you geta few customers ,word of mouth is the best advertisement:usflag:
  7. Team-Green L&L

Team-Green L&L LawnSite Bronze Member

There is no 1 method to advertise. The key is that you are "creating the word-of-mouth". You want to approach advertising from multiple angles to allow for the most visibility. You want people to talk about you...whether it's to the mailman, their spouse, at church, at the grocery store, or wherever. That is the whole reason we advertise. If you aren't hearing people talk about your company, or strangers don't know who you are on a daily basis, then it's not time to stop advertising.
  8. hollywoodjoe

hollywoodjoe LawnSite Member

The internet is free and it works.
  9. Ric3077

Ric3077 LawnSite Bronze Member

My website generates alot of business, doorhangers have worked GREAT for me those are the 2 main ones other than word of mouth...
  10. mdvaden

mdvaden LawnSite Bronze Member

Someday, I may try hangers, but I use full sheet flyers to diplay more legible information that can be filed nicely.

No bands are needed.

I tuck my notebook under my arm while I roll a sheet coming up the walk, or to the paper tube, and slide it in place.

It will expand and hold next to a door knob.

For "D" handles, slide it in at an angle.

Screen doors - usually slides horizontal under the handle.

I just got 5 new customers from flyers put out in the past two weeks. That was from about 200 flyers.