1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by bgmoney7, Dec 4, 2007.

1. bgmoney7

bgmoney7 LawnSite Member

Does anyone have any ideas how to advertise to get new customers both commercial and residential. I have tried postcards and door hangers for residential but neither worked real well. I also have name and number in phone book and have advertised in local newspaper. I have sent out packets to property managers but just can't seem to get responses. I have a good base of business but just can't seem to get over the hump.
  2. DaveinSWFL

DaveinSWFL LawnSite Member

It will come. I was worring as well. I invested quite a bit of money in advertising as well: door hangers, newspaper, green sheet, display ad in the phone book and a wrap on my trailer. Now my phone is ringing and I think I will need a second crew this summer.This is my first year in the business. Take your time on the properties and do a good job, show up when you say you will be there and before you know it the neighbors will see you and you will pick up their account as well. I see other LCO's that are servicing properties in 5 minutes and they are gone. Potential customers are watching and they will not be calling them to do their lawn. I picked up 40 accounts in a community yesterday on a referral from one of my customers. They were unhappy with the LCO that was tearing up their property, banging into there concrete curbing, etc.. He lost 40 accounts due to fast, sloppy work. I take my time because my reputation is at stake.
  3. Mrs. H

Mrs. H LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, DaveinSWFL is right, it will come.

The first couple of years you will find yourself focusing and investing in different advertising. As your client base grows, you will find the things that work the best and stick with those.
  4. bohiaa

bohiaa LawnSite Fanatic

Sorry But I'm LMAO at this statement,

you stated that neither worked real well, hate to tell ya this But it sounds like they worked VERY WELL,

the only think I can think of to say here is

kind of makes ya understand why a customer base is so valueable hu ?
  5. mowing grass 1111

mowing grass 1111 LawnSite Senior Member

when i did advertize i always used the yellow pages ........its been 4 years since i have advertized but when i did the yellow page brought me alot of work
  6. zz4guy

zz4guy LawnSite Senior Member

Now seems like the worst time to advertise to residentials. Nobody is thinking spring yet.

It's true the calls will come, not necessarily right away. I sent out most of my direct mailings in March. Maybe 50% of the calls came in April with the rest in May, June and even July. People will save your card and call when they need you. Everybody thinks they can handle mowing their own lawn until it is 90 degrees for days on end or the lawnmower breaks down. Or they run out of time mid year because they are commited to too many things.

Have patience - they will come!!