Advertising?

Discussion in 'Florida Lawn Care Forum' started by South Florida Lawns, Jan 23, 2011.

1. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

I am having a webpage built ( going all out too spending some $$) as we speak but was wondering about Yellowpages.com as well.

I was also thinking about registering with Angies list.

What means of advertising have you guys had the most success with?

2. Landscape Poet

Landscape Poet LawnSite Gold Member

As mentioned in that other thread, word of mouth has been my most successful way to gain business.

With that said the way I got most initial customers was with door hangers. Professionally designed and laid out door hangers and I am not talking about designed by someone who designs doorhangers. Always have a area printed on them for a "estimated monthly cost" in which I write my estimate. Then I leave them on the doors as I walk door to door. It also saves me time from getting calls from tire kickers. I make it simple for them, they know the price range, if they are interested they call.

I am now lucky to have a pretty full route, so this year I am going to try just limited advertising. One local magazine, HOA newsletters, and again door hangers. I hope to gain a few customers to replace ones that I under bid or ones that I just do not like in general.

Not sure of your operations size SFL, but if you do not do pest control, hook up with one of those companies. not TG etc but a local company. They will appreciate having someone not butchering the lawn and will be more than happy to give you a reference when they can since you make their job less of a hassle if someone is there that knows whats what looking after the property. Of course they will expect you to throw business their way and obviously the more business you throw them, the more they will throw you and the best thing is it cost you nothing.

3. Patriot Services

Patriot Services LawnSite Fanatic

Angie's produced two accounts for me. One was wonderful, the other not so much. Customer felt the price she originally agreed to was too much. She was pleased with the work though. I refused to do regular mowing for her after that.
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. Lefet

Lefet LawnSite Bronze Member

How does Angies list work? Is there a fee?

5. Patriot Services

I agree with Michael about the fert and pest. Support your local "Ric" and sub it out. Mutual benefits for you both.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. PetesLandscape&Supply

PetesLandscape&Supply LawnSite Member

I don't know either but am interested in finding out if it works for anyone on here ....hopefully someone will post with their experience ..... :)

7. Patriot Services

Its free and I did post my limited mixed experience.
    Posted via Mobile Device

8. South Florida Lawns

South Florida Lawns LawnSite Platinum Member
    from usa

Good advice guys I got to talking to a local pest control co. last year, small 2 trucks and roughly 700 customers we exchanged cards, turns out he takes care of a few of my accounts. I got a friend thats in sales for True Green says he can get me good accounts but I kinda doubt he can we'll see this year how everything goes.

Word of mouth has been my best advertising so far too.

9. Patriot Services

No offense to your TG friend. I am largely unimpressed with the work they do on my customers yards and in my neighborhood. I swear it's blue water and cat litter they put down.
    Posted via Mobile Device

10. zturncutter

zturncutter LawnSite Bronze Member

Totally agree, sometimes I think they forget the cat litter LOL.