Advertising

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by GTLC, Nov 6, 2003.

1. GTLC

GTLC LawnSite Senior Member

I am going to advertise soon and have never done very much advertising other than in my town before. What seems to be the most effective way to advertise? A newspaper? Classifieds?

2. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

my first attempt with advertising was with 18"x24" coroplast lawn signs for Leaf Cleanups this fall. So far So good :) Been getting 1-3 calls a day just off signs at one location.

With the site advertising you can target the neighborhood and get a nice tight route (potentially)

The signs ran me about $50/ea but i only ordered 4 of them. Next year i'll have 20-30 made up and i get a significant qty discount.

my next step in advert'in is placing an ad in the local paper. "Leaf Cleanup - (203) my-number Serving Ridgefield & Wilton"

Hopefully the "serving" line will filter out some people that might be calling from other areas and allow me to keep my route tight.

3. Remsen1

Remsen1 LawnSite Bronze Member

do you have a picture of your sign? I wonder if a sign would work better for me.

I've been running a 2"x2" graphic display ad for leaf cleanup in the local pennysaver and have gotten only a couple calls.

4. BSDeality

remsel. I'lll try to find the digital cam and get a picture for you.

5. BSDeality

just ran outside in the rain and snapped this for ya.

sign1.jpg

6. BSDeality

I did a little experimenting making my own signs after the success of the others. I printed something up on 17"x22" paper and the put it on some foam board. I then clear coated it to attempt to make it waterproof. I just put the last coat on the other day. I'm going to put them out tomorrow.

sign2.jpg

7. mike9497

mike9497 LawnSite Senior Member

news paper or yellow pages is your best bet.theres laws on add signs on public property.you can only have them up if there is work taking place there.i pay 43.00 a week for this add.just a
    little P!$$ in the bucket for me.my # is in it for u guys to see but please don't call past 8 pm thanks

scan0001 (3).jpg

8. BSDeality

I only put my signs up where the owners permit me to. or while i'm physically at the site.

9. proenterprises

proenterprises LawnSite Silver Member

those are really nice signs guys....gave me some excellent ideas. GOOD LUCK-may they bring you "leaves" of bussiness:cool:

10. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

I am going to try my hand at screen printing my own signs this winter. I already have the screen and 50 of the chloroplast signs with "H" stakes. I have about $100 in it so far and probably spend another $100 for various supplies. I use the service dierctory in the paper for various services during different season and have pretty good luck with that method. I have a 2" ad in the yellow pages which brings in a lot of mowing calls, but they are usually spread through out the town.....which does not do me much good. I have a 2"X3" ad coming out in the yellow pages in a couple of weeks. I am hoping this will generate something.

If the budget is tight.....try the newspaper.

MATT