advertising

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by straightlinelawns, Feb 18, 2004.

1. straightlinelawns

straightlinelawns LawnSite Member

I've been in the green business for two years now, and this is my first year really advertising as far as flyers and business cards on mail obxes. I live in an area with a lot of homes and a pretty high income. there is plenty of work to go round and plenty of compitition. The problem i have is when I started to put out flyers and business cards on mailboxes, every where i went the same flyer was already there!! what should i do? place mine next to his? wait a couple of days? or go to a neighborhood that he hasn't hit yet? it is still early in the season and things haven't started growing yet. maybe I should wait until the season is closer to starting before putting more out?? any help would be great!!

2. sproutlscape

sproutlscape LawnSite Member

Remember most new customers get 2 to 3 bids. Show this area that you mean business. If the area has great promise offer (1) free mowing @ the end of the season. And don't forget to have them sign a contract. Good Luck

3. mow2nd

mow2nd LawnSite Senior Member

NEVER WORK FOR FREE, NEVER DO A FREE MOWING, NEVER NEVER NEVER

DONT EVEN DO FREE ESTIMATES

4. zima

zima LawnSite Member

just leave your cards or flyers there make sure you have a good design and quality, they will speak for you ,i see yow on the road i'm here in marietta this will be my 2nd year too, just stay away from legacy park or brookstone and i will wave at you,just kidding there is plenty of green cake,no work for free,yes free estimates good luck to you.

5. precisioncut

precisioncut LawnSite Senior Member

I CHARGE $100 PER ESTIMATE-Isn't that what you charge mow2nd? Give Free Estimates buddy. I offer Free promotions from time to time. But I don't make a million like mow2nd.

6. mow2nd

Nope, but good guess............hey, lets all just work for FREE!!!

7. topher924

topher924 LawnSite Member

ARE YOU KIDDING ME NO FREE ESTIMATES

8. mow2nd

ok, what do you do when somebody calls you from your flyer? You go look at the yard.....right? Next time you get a call, tell the customer when you can be there. If you would like a true estimate let me cut your grass, I'll only charge you a one-time fee of $30. This will give me a better idea of your lawn, it will also give you the opportunity as a customer to see how good of work I do. They agree, go cut the grass, do a good job, collect your money, customer likes, and everybody happy. Of course while you are cutting the yard you are thinking what you would charge on a regular basis...................NO MORE FREE ESTIMATEs

What do you think???

9. topher924

topher924 LawnSite Member

I SEE WHERE YOU ARE COMING FROM NOW. AND ACTUALLY I LIKE THAT APPROACH I THINK I WILL GIVE IT A GO!

10. mow2nd

I might learn you guys something after all...........Please stop doing things for FREE