Advertising

Discussion in 'Business Operations' started by lilballa154, Apr 5, 2004.

1. lilballa154

lilballa154 LawnSite Member

Hi i just started my own lawn business and was wondering the best way to get some customers as of right now we only have like 6 clients and i have put up flyers and business cards and so far no calls not even one! also is it maybe it is to early in the season right now i live in northwest ohio to get people to call. i was thinkin about putting up signs in peoples front yards that i know, like political sigs you see in the voting season

2. twins_lawn_care

twins_lawn_care LawnSite Senior Member

The signs are a good way to get noticed. Just be sure if you are putting them up in people's yards, that the yards look nice. When people see them, they will associate how the yards looks with your business, and you want this to be a good thing.
    Keep on trying, when you least expect it, the calls will start coming in.
    Maybe post your flyer here so people can give you some tips that might help generate some calls.

3. lilballa154

Here is my flyer i think its good but tell me what i should do to make it better. thanks

Attached Files:

4. Zach76

Zach76 LawnSite Member

First of all, get your business name on there. I have found that flyers are mostly about name recognition. Secondly, I wouldn't reccommend offering to beat any other price. Johnny Scrubbynuts down the street may be doing it for a price that wouldn't even cover your expenses. Also, I would let people know that you are licensed and insured if you are advertising fertilizing (you are aren't you?). Finally, Double check your spelling and grammar. I don't want to sound too critical, but it pays to make a good first impression with potential customers.

5. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

The "~" mark isn't a very professional character for advertising. There's nothing wrong with beating other people's prices, but just make sure you get as much as you can for your work, and be sure you're not going to lose any money in doing so. Figure out how much it cost you to mow each yard.
    Having the flier hald a page is a great idea. That way you can save 2x the cost for printing. I myself put three fliers to a page, and then get em diced up. 1500 fliers for like 20 bucks is what it comes out to be for me.

How many fliers did you put out the other day? Typically I'll put out about 300-400 at a time. Just take about an hour or two to do it and then I get tired of doing it. But just remember, either you can be sitting on your butt and not earn any money, or invest and get your name out to everyone.

Hope this helps, keep at it and don't give up. You are the deciding factor in how big you want to grow. Good luck, let me know if I can help.

6. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I suck too. I am out every morning early and go until I cant go no mo. I have had a couple of call backs, but nothing to get me to my target goal of 75 accounts. I get like two calls a week..MAYBE. I am running out of places to cover with my fliers though.

Trevor===="OUT"

7. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

Hi lilballa154,

If you are handing these flyers out to homes, maybe have a spot to write in a price quote to service their lawn?

8. walker-talker

walker-talker LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Midwest

try the service directory in the newspaper....cheap and have treated me well for the money....very well this year. More expensive, the yellow pages. Even more expensive, professional postcards mailed out....5000 to be exact. Been out for about 10 days and picked up 5 mowing accounts and a bunch of one time jobs.

9. lilballa154

zach76,

um... my business name is on there precision green lawn care

10. Trevors Lawn Care

Trevors Lawn Care LawnSite Bronze Member

I cant seem to lure in any new customers. i guess i shouldnt quit my day job at Radioshack. I started this year, and am up to 23 accounts as of tonight. I NEED MORE. Hopefully word of mouth takes off during the summer because i am needing every bit of help i can get.

Trevor