1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by pomcguir, Apr 24, 2004.

1. pomcguir

pomcguir LawnSite Member

My dad retired with the usps after 39 years of service, I was a sub for 2 years,(hated it), and my brother has been employed with the usps for over 12 years, you can do what you feel is legal, but I know that a mail box is for USPS use only! And to place a flyer in, on , or around one is just begging for fines and/or imprisonment. Believe me, I think thats a bunch of crap, however, think of what would be in, on, or around your mailbox if it were not for this law.
    have a great weekend
  2. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

so when you say around, do you mean the air space surrounding a mailbox by, oh....say 2 feet?
  3. charlies

charlies LawnSite Senior Member
    from earth

and what did you, your dad, and/or you brother do when you came upon a street lined with flyers on the flags, or in the boxes themselves?
  4. pomcguir

pomcguir LawnSite Member

Why does this post insist on allowing ignorant, undeducated, miserable smartalecks to post, whenever the post is supposed to help someone, is the moderator asleep, or is the usual expletives that would best describe these individuals left out??
  5. kc2006

kc2006 LawnSite Silver Member

Where does everyone put their flyers then? (not being smart just asking a real question) I decided not to make flyers since it would be too hard to put them in places and worry that they would fly out so i made door hangers. I'd still like to do the flyers though because they're bigger and i can have more content about my company.
  6. tedk

tedk LawnSite Member

We just put ours in the mailboxes. never had any problem. if the postmaster ever calls me, i'll just play dumb.
  7. Jay Ray

Jay Ray LawnSite Fanatic

You can't play dumb when dealing with any government agency. Ignorance of the law is no excuse. See Robert A. Welcome's book, 'How to Make Big Money Mowing Small Lawns,' 2nd edition, page 33-34, where he writes about naive, unknowing teenagers being fined high enough that a mailbox violation shut them down. The book is far too basic for you vets and pros, but me being a newbie, I read it even though I had a mowing business as a teen. With identity theft being what it is today, I don't want anyone messing with my mailbox but the USPS, and I would not hesitate to call in a violation. Put a flyer on my windshield at the mall or store, that's terrific. I always read them, and they are usually interesting -- everything from prohecy conferences to plumbers. Can't remember any on turf, but why not?

By the way, identity theft should be a hard time offense in the hole with a very long sentence. Life is lived in time, and they are taking up most of the victim's time to get it straightened out, so it is a form of taking a life, a lesser form of murder.
  8. Cleatus

Cleatus LawnSite Member
    from Midwest

we have been putting them in there for years, no problems. i have heard others talking about the penalties though. the cost of a stamp for each one put in or on a mailbox.
  9. Wrobel#1

Wrobel#1 LawnSite Member

What is the best way to attract customer
  10. KL Squared

KL Squared LawnSite Member

I spoke to a local post master who said the mail box was off limits. That included the sides , top, and interior of the box. However she said that the post was fair game. The box belonged to the post office but the post belonged to the homeowner. Flyers are time consuming and a pain in the butt but the are cheap and effective. My company still depends on them for our main part of growth. We have put out 3000 flyers and mailed out 7000 post cards. The company added 75 customers this year. This may not seem like much but for a small company it meant growth of 100%.