Advertising

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by pepper, Dec 5, 2000.

1. pepper

pepper LawnSite Member

I started mowing lawns on the side in March with 7 accounts. Through word of mouth it grew to 24 by October. Going into the Spring I am planning to pass out flyers to several areas(placing them on doors). Is this a good way to build business? What kind of results can I expect? Any other ideas? I welcome any and all advice.

Thanks,

Pepper

2. LoneStarLawn

LoneStarLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

yes its a good idea....You can expect form 7% to 10% calls coming from the flyers that you hand out. One thing is to make sure you put it on the door, like you said, and not on mailboxes. People have gotten into some trouble putting flyers on mailboxes. Also try using the search function (top right hand corner of page) and type in FLYERS...this topic has been discussed many times, so you will get alot of information using this feature. GOOD LUCK!!!

3. bob

bob LawnSite Platinum Member
    from DE

If your business has tripled in one season, you must be doing something right :) . Personally, I have found word of mouth works best for me.

4. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

Ask all your 24 customers if they would let their neighbors and friends know you would like more work. These are the best customers usually, especially if your customers are satisfied with your work now. Pass out the flyers in the area you already work to keep all your work in a small area to minimize traveling time between jobs. This sure helps too with the gas prices going up. Here is a link to the flyer search results. http://www.lawnsite.com/search.php?...ctname=yes&action=dosearch&getdaily=&pagenum=

5. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

Next time you send statements to your curent customers add a flyer stating that any referals generated will earn a discount (1 free cut) on their next statement. I've made this practice a policy with great success. Everyone wins.

6. Vandora Lawn & Landscape

Vandora Lawn & Landscape LawnSite Senior Member

I'd be careful about that, you don't wanna give up a $65 cut for a $30 referral or worse

7. tslawn

tslawn LawnSite Member

We started with flyers also, but didn't get a tremendous response from that. I did find out, however, that some people called us a year to two years after the flyers were sent out and these people had kept them either in files full of flyers or on their refrigerators.

You could also put your business cards on bulletin boards at local deli stores, liquor stores, farm supply stores, just about anywhere that has a bulletin board. You'd be amazed at how many people pick up your card and call.

We also put ads in local community newsletters. We have also given our business cards to friends of ours who are also self-employed with their own businesses (HVAC contractors, etc). We take their cards and refer them to people we know or customers and our friends tell their customers about us.

We have found though that the best way to get more business is through word of mouth. So just do a great job and they'll tell their friends.

8. tpirobert

tpirobert LawnSite Member

Flyers work great, as well as brochures. Send out brochures to potential commercial cutomers. I've also printed up postcards and mailed out (cheaper postage). Some sort of "call to action" in your advertising will get faster results,ie: sign up before x date and get a free mowing. I have found response to vary, but usually get an account or two every time which more than pays for cost of advertising. Good luck, have fun.

9. mike

mike LawnSite Member

I've done it all-advertising!! THE BEST ADVERTISING YOU CAN DO IS SHOWN IN THE KIND OF WORK YOU DO & STANDING BY YOUR WORD. IF YOU TELL YOUR CUSTOMER YOUR GOING TO DO SOMETHING MAKE SURE IT GETS DONE. THERE IS NO BETTER ADVERTISING!!!!ALL YOU NEED TO DO IS KEEP COMPANY INFO IN YOUR VEHICLE. THEY WILL COME TO YOU!!!!!

10. 65hoss

65hoss LawnSite Fanatic

Flyers worked well for me, an ad in the local newspaper for aerating and seeding did ok, but word of mouth picked me up several GOOD accounts. Next year promises to be better. I will do flyers next year, but probably stay away from newpaper. May advertise in a local business journal, that way my name gets some exposure for potential long term benefits.