1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by paridise, Feb 21, 2005.

1. paridise

paridise LawnSite Member

what are good forms of advertising is it to early when should i start
  2. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

flyers are a really good and cheap way to get the word out. of course, there's always the yellow page/newspaper adds.

on your flyers, it's a good Idea to affer a promotion or some other type of offer that will get the person to ACT on the flyer. humans, by nature, procrastinate (spelling?), give them a reason not to.
  3. paridise

paridise LawnSite Member

what type of promotional thing would be a good idea

And thanks for all your advice
  4. TClawn

TClawn LawnSite Silver Member

like, 10% off on spring cleanups if you call by XXX date. 15% off lawn care when you sign up for a year round contract, 10% off on all landscaping work over $100... you get the idea.

another way to get in, is to have a "sorry about the noise" flyer put on the next door neighbor's door. you apologise for the noise that your mower makes to the neigbor, and you then offer them a discount on your services as a way to make it up to them.

the trick is when you bid the property's of people who called by the discount date, is to bid the prooperty 15% higher so your not losing out.
  5. Green lawns

Green lawns LawnSite Member

We do color flyers and door hangers. They start going out the 1st. week in March.
  6. The landscaper

The landscaper LawnSite Senior Member

Get out and talk to people as well. You want everybody to now you.
  7. Davis Lawn Mowing LLC

Davis Lawn Mowing LLC LawnSite Senior Member

I advertise in the local paper and on the local community website(website is free). I also get around to most of the local corner stores and set up a flyer or post business cards. A good promotional idea is like TC said. Another way of looking at the promotion idea is giving out pens and keychains. Hell, I just ordered 50 pens for 98 cents with 50 free. Nice big thick clicker pens with rubber grips with the company name, location, and phone numbers on them. Going to start passing those out at estimate time.
  8. Tom-N-Texas

Tom-N-Texas LawnSite Senior Member

two words. Yellow pages. I've been in business for over 15 years. Had I been in the yellow pages all those years, I would be a rich man now. (I'm doing ok as it is.)

I'm in 3 different books now (about $40 each per month) and I get more calls than I can handle. Several per day in the growing season. Also many more commercial accounts than before.