Advertising?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by michael stofflet, Feb 8, 2001.

1. michael stofflet

michael stofflet LawnSite Member

Anybody have any luck advertising in a local community currier? Published once a week, able to list the areas you want work from.

2. CCLC

CCLC LawnSite Senior Member

We have a paper publisher here that is surburban areas only. They have 5 or 6 different papers that go out on Thursday and Sunday. We can pick and choose which papers we want them in and their prices are pretty resonable. We've had great success with every ad but one that we have done. We usually spend $2500 to $2800 in ads there a year.

3. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

We used to advertise in the pennysaver here. I found that the phone rang off the hook. Give 'em a try!!

Good luck.
    Kris

4. TJLC

TJLC LawnSite Bronze Member

I have magnetic signs on my truck. I have never advertised in the local paper because it is so overun with lawncare/landscaping/tree people already. It seems like every year when the temp. climbs up around 90 or so people will approach you to cut their grass. Go figure. I guess lawncare is not as glamorous as some people seem to think. I have enough work now to keep me busy. If I feel I need to take on more, then I will probally use the local sources.

5. Chip

Chip LawnSite Member

Mike I have advertised in 2 different weekly papers. When I do this it is usually for fence repairs and installation the other part of my maintenance business. Both allow me to pick zones and have always generated work. It seems to work best in the early spring March and April then again in Sept.
    In the middle of summer with vacations and around holidays people don't seem to respond as well to the adds. I did work this past fall that was a result of an add that was run in March. The people cut out the add and kept it until they could afford to get the work done.
    As far as lawn's I think I'd rather advertise with door hangers and flyers rather than the paper. This allows you to pick the neighborhoods and types of lawns you want to service rather than running around giving estimates in ares that you really don't want. Try to keep your lawn route close to maximize profits.

6. Twotoros

Twotoros LawnSite Senior Member

I will try our local business journal this season which is sent out only to business owners. I tried the the yocal penny papers and all I get are riffraff looking for 5$ an hour guy. Yellow pages were a bust in my hick town for me but good for the full service boys though. Regular daily paper is ok but I have to go up against guys offering a free cut or large lettering stating "lowest price in town " etc.

7. ron

ron LawnSite Senior Member

Hey try using flyiers I get 30 percent of all my business from flyiers..they work really great and very cost effective...........

8. Scraper

Scraper LawnSite Bronze Member

Mike...if you're talking Town Talk...prices are cheap, but by Mid-April there a re 2-3 columns of lawncare services...my best advertising has been word of mouth, but to get going might not be a bad investment to pick up a few..

9. smburgess

smburgess LawnSite Senior Member

Too much business now! Always turning it away.

10. cleancut

cleancut LawnSite Member

I started my business 6 years ago advertising in a local paper that is distributed in two counties..It's worked great..It gave me a good base of customers and I still advertise with them..I also use flyers and direct mailings...Derrick