Advice between first mowers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by Liendeni, Feb 19, 2008.

1. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

2. jklawns

jklawns LawnSite Member

What size lots are you mowing? Do you have gates?

3. cgaengineer

cgaengineer LawnSite Fanatic

Though I am a Toro fan I am not big on belt driven, I would go with the dual hydro any day.

4. KS_Grasscutter

KS_Grasscutter LawnSite Gold Member

Yea, if you dont have too many gates to deal with, get the big one. Hydro is always better than belt. Maybe the 52", and later on get a 32" hydro WB for back yards and stuff.

5. Classified

Classified LawnSite Senior Member

I would get the hydro if it will fit on all your lots (no gates). I would not even consider the belt drive no matter what the price. i dont like them, i used them for years and years and when starting my company i got hydros. I WILL NEVER GO BACK.

anyway, on my 52" exmark hydro and it has a 17 hp motor on it and its too small. I boggs down enough that anything over a decent walking pace it cuts like crap, even with new gator blades. i have been debating buying a new 19 or higher hp motor for it or even trade it in for anothe unit.

I personally would not get either mower.

6. jiggz

jiggz LawnSite Senior Member
    from jerz

id go with the Bunton.. looks like its got alot more then 100 hours on it though..or its been sittin outside for a minute

7. jdmcat

jdmcat LawnSite Senior Member
    from Idaho

i disagree, i would get a smaller one first so you don't have to turn down any jobs because your mower is too big. then you can save up for a bigger one.

8. metro36

metro36 LawnSite Silver Member

If gates are'nt an issue I would go with the bunton. It does look it is older than 100 hours though. My only concern would be the 15hp engine on the 52" deck.

9. jbell36

jbell36 LawnSite Bronze Member
    from KANSAS

KEEP GATES IN MIND...you can use the toro on ANY yard, the bunton you can't...a 36" mower is really the most necessary mower in a business, you can use it anywhere...also, toro is a better brand and more powerful considering it only has to power 2 blades instead of 3, 15 hp is just too low for a 52" deck...the belt drive is the only flaw, but since you are just starting it won't be that big of a deal, i know many of people who only have belt drives and they don't seem to mind...the toro is definitely in better condition, something to keep in mind......i like the floating deck on the toro too...toro would be the best in the long run in my opinion, better resale too...

10. Liendeni

Liendeni LawnSite Member

I really appreciate everybody taking the time to give me some advice. Right now, I do not have a mower at all except a $400 toro Home Depot Mower that I used to push across my own yard.

I think I am going to keep looking due to the advice that you all gave me.

Stick with hydro....never belt driven and a 52 inch is going to probably need something bigger than a 15 hp.

Great Advice!

I'll keep looking.

Thanks...I really do appreciate it! Probably no big deal to you but might have just saved me a couple grand and a lot of headaches.