Advice, Compact Tractors

Discussion in 'Tractors' started by Deputy_Swan, Aug 3, 2013.

1. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

mccormick is a division of AGCO just like white and challenger, and Fendt. Mahindra's are made in india and LS is made in South Korea. Fiat has made their own tractors for years. Montana broke away from LS tractors only selling in the US and bought farmtrac. Talk about confusing.

2. 20/20

20/20 LawnSite Member

Yep it is confusing and by the looks of things products switch makers often :confused: My point was that at one time LS(or at the time LG) did make the Mahindra tractor. I believe LS is now labeled LS because they are trying to get into their own line instead of producing for other companies. I'm not sure how much they're involved with NH anymore either???

3. JCLawn and more

JCLawn and more LawnSite Fanatic
    from MI

LS is owned by hyundai.

4. 20/20

20/20 LawnSite Member

That was true in 1975 till 83 but no longer
    In 1995 they changed the name to LG then I believe they changed to LS in 2009 when they wanted to sell for themselves.

5. Grant1

Grant1 LawnSite Member

I'll second the Kioti endorsement. I have 2 of them One is a DK45s with a hydrostat the other is a CK30 gear with a backhoe. I have over 3000 hours on these two machine with no serious or costly repairs. I mow. ditch grade, seed and overseed with these machines. They are heavier than Kubota or John Deere brand and less expensive. Nothing runs like a Deere when it's being chased by a Kioti

6. lawn king

lawn king LawnSite Silver Member

Go Kubota, you will have no regrets! I have put thousands of hours on 4 Kubota tractors over the past 15 years. Never once had a machine break down! Im running a B 2320 and grand l 3540 @ present, Both heated cab machines both work snow all winter! GO KUBOTA GO KUBOTA GO KUBOTA!!!!!

7. DK35vince

DK35vince LawnSite Member

I've owned a Kioti DK 35 for 14 years. Just under 2000 hours.
    No problems. Its been a very good, reliable tractor for me.

8. ablawns

ablawns LawnSite Member

My advice is to buy for the dealer first, manufacturer second, color last. If you buy the right machine, you're going to own it for a long time, dealer support and parts becomes the most important factor very quickly. I'm a Deere guy, but that's because I have a fantastic dealer close by. Other brands might be a little better, might not be, but the differences between manufacturers are small enough that IMO they are less important thatn the support you can get by the dealer after the sale.

Also the compact tractor industry is all kinds of twisted up with Asian machines being sold under half a dozen different brands or colors...again, you'll be owning the thing for a long time, buy the brand that has a history of existing and will likely be around for a long time to come to support the tractor and sell parts. So not the new brand of the month that folds in a couple years (eg Montana). And if the same tractor is sold under different brands, buy the original--eg Kioti over Bobcate, LS over New Holland, etc. Kubota and John Deere are probably the best in this regard, they build their own machines almost exclusively (Deere buys the 2 series from Yanmar but even then they're a unique design) so you know exactly what you're getting. On the other hand New Holland has had multiple suppliers of their compact tractors, they haven't ever actually built their own.