Advice Cutting Bahia

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by GrassRoots Lawn Care, Jun 12, 2000.

1. GrassRoots Lawn Care

GrassRoots Lawn Care Guest

I normally do not accept yards with Bahia mainly because 99% of the nicer yards in town are St. Augustine. I had a chance last week to pick up 9 residential accounts, all of them in a row, side by side. Couldn't pass it up at $30 each (small lots). Trouble is the quality of cut after I was done with the two Bahia yards was terrible. Loose shoots of grass, clumps of grass, grassed pushed foward, ect. We sharpen our blades daily. We cut it on the low side. What did I do wrong? Any advice will be appreciated.<p>----------<br>Mike Reynolds,<br>GrassRoots Lawn Care, Florida

2. Starling Lawn

Starling Lawn LawnSite Member

mike,<br>bahia is tough,since its your first time cutting these yards,drop it to .5 if you have to.you may end up double cutting.and change the blades after st aug and before cutting the bahia.<br>dave

3. bill phagan

bill phagan Guest

Sounds like the mowing regime is correct. Bahia is just problematic, even changing your blades on site frequently. Hope you didn't include raking in the deal as it appears the rains are coming......hope you're not fertilizing it.....made the same mistakes.....only salvation is mowing should be required less than st aug. Bahia goes dormant earlier and &quot;overall&quot; a reduction of cuts. Sounds like it's Pensacola Bahia, even tougher. Maybe mow with chutes inward to reduce raking...no easy answer...just a problematic turf. Maybe try some growth retardants.<p>Bill Phagan<br>Green Ind Consulting, Inc.

4. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

I don't know what your set-up is byt you would be miles ahead to bag it! I have chased it around and around trying to mulch it as it is the predominant grass in our part of the world, without it there would be a lot less to cut during the dry periods, it don't care if it gets wet it still grows regardless. Its actually much faster to just bag it than chase it, if your on a large area you can scatter it easily but in tight corners it needs picking up.<p>Homer

5. mowerman90

mowerman90 LawnSite Bronze Member

My advise is to jsut give up the accounts or sub it out to someone just starting out that doesn't mind ruining his equipment and breathing dust all day. Bahia takes a terrible toll on your equipment, it's longevity will definately be reduced. Stick with the St Augustine

6. Bobby

Bobby LawnSite Senior Member

I know what you mean about chaseing it around Homer. We had a right of way we used to do. A half a mile by about fourty feet.On a summer day when it was high, it would turn into little tumble weeds by the time we made our second pass. If the wind was blowing, you were in trouble.<p>----------<br>Bobby <br>Ft Lauderdale

7. Keith

Keith LawnSite Gold Member

The best thing for Bahia (and you) is for it to get burnt a couple of times during the summer. But people with sprinkler systems and Bahia grass are a bad mix. Pensacola Bahia, in my opinion, was never meant to be in that enviroment. Argentine is only slightly better. It is fine in fields, but in lawns with an abundance of water and fertilizer, they are uncontrollable. Without getting burned a few times, they turn yellow and tough and become near impossible to cut with more than about 5 days growth. <p>I have changed my way of dealing with these monsters. Cut high. Cut often (5 days if necessary) You may have to double cut it to get the heads, but you won't have to bail hay.

8. HOMER

HOMER LawnSite Gold Member

Hey Bobby, chunk it out there in the road and let the cars take care of it!!!!!!!!! After 20 or so go by its somebody elses problem anyway. I hate the stuff but the truth is it keeps us busy a lot of the time.....people can't stand it sticking up all over the place and no matter if anything else is growing or not it will be there........I call it &quot;job security&quot;!<p>Homer<p>p.s. Them Yankees ain't never had to deal with that tough grass, they got it made up thar in the snow belt, cutting fescue and bluegrass!