Advice for a newbie amateur??? please

Discussion in 'Landscape Lighting' started by bigboar, May 3, 2008.

1. bigboar

bigboar LawnSite Member
    from ohio

hi, all. I would like some recommendations on how i should light this. This is for myself and not commercial gain so any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I am thinking of using a kichler 15385 on the right side, a 15384 for each column, another 15385 for the center section, and a 15385 at each corner of the driveway at the garage corners. Does this sound like a good choice? I am also considering using 15396's in place of the 15385's(not sure which would work better).
    I have never used expensive lighting before and by no means do i claim to even have a clue as to designing lighting, the only thing I have used is the cheap big store stuff. I have just been reading and trying to gather information, so I can do as good of a job as possible with being an amateur.
    This house is the house my builder owns and he is currently getting ready to build the same home for me except it will be reversed and the garage will be on the right. Also, my driveway will be 150' long and i am building a brick colum at each side of the entrance to the drive and was going to use a 15384 on each column. I am going to run everything with 10/2(already own 500') and I am using a stainless steel hadco 600w transformer(already own). I havent gotten around to what might work well going down the drive(if anything at all). I am just trying to get everything together while the house is being built and I dont have the house payment and it will be paid for by the time the house is done. once again, any help would be greatly appreciated.

classichomes.jpg

2. Chris J

Chris J LawnSite Silver Member

This would be a good plan for your first time. I would consider 35 watters for everything because that brick is going to soak up a lot of the light, but you may want to put a 50w in the center (taller portion) of the home. Just back the fixture up a bit so there won't be a hot spot down low to counter the right and left sides. You may even consider another 15385 for the side garage wall.
    There are a lot of different approaches that you could take in designing this, but what you have planned will work well and look very nice. No sense in trying to overwhelm you with a bunch of difficult application ideas. Don't use the 15396 though. It's just too small for this application.
    Good luck!

3. bigboar

bigboar LawnSite Member
    from ohio

thanks for the input Chris... I think I will add another 15385 on the side garage wall(I am assuming you were talking about the inside wall next to the tall center). I appreciate you taking the time to answer my questions and I am actually very happy my plans didnt have to be ripped apart. It makes me feel like I have actually learned some things while reading the forum.....

4. Chris J

Yep, you did good. If you need any help with the voltage calculations or wire runs, just give me a call. Better yet, just fax me the layout, with measurments, and I'll calculate it for you.

5. bigboar

bigboar LawnSite Member
    from ohio

ok, will do.. and thanks again!!!!

6. NOOB

NOOB LawnSite Member

How did it come out or did you not install them yet Post pics of progress Beautiful Home by ther way

7. Chris J

And by the way, no need to use the 10/2 wire. Keep this for the driveway later on. It looks like there will be no run more than 100' (by looking at the picture) so there is absolutly no reason to use up your 12/2. I'll explain all this later.

8. Chris J

Read the post NOOBer. This is not his house, it's one that is going to be built for him. The post was only presented today.

Chevy 2500 w/graphics wrap
    Stainless steel tool box with locking lid
    4 flat blade shovels
    1 big box of Ace connectors
    3 Auto strippers
    100' roll of flex conduit
    1 big man to dig trenches
    Big box of replacment lamps
    Volt meter/Amp probe
    Box of installation contracts/proposals
    Full portfolio with 8x10 pictures
    etc,
    etc,
    etc,

9. Chris J

Sometimes I just kill myself....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

10. Pro-Scapes

Pro-Scapes LawnSite Platinum Member

ha the guy posted a pic and questions and 24 hours later he is supposed to have it done and photos for us.

I think something that forgot to get mentioned is toss out the quic discs that come with the kichler fixtures