advice for a pile of dirt

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by yrdandgardenhandyman, Jun 8, 2004.

1. yrdandgardenhandyman

yrdandgardenhandyman LawnSite Senior Member
    from midwest

Just need some advice. Have a job where the city dug up a sewer line and of course, left a pile of clay soil 8'w X 60'l X 4'h. The Homeowner wants me to level the pile as best as possible, by hand, so it'll naturally settle. I have a 4 man crew I could put out there with shovels, rakes and a rototiller. How do I charge this? I'm figuring 2 hours/man to do this.

2. AGLA

AGLA LawnSite Bronze Member

$x/hour/man

You should bill this hourly.

3. o-so-n-so

o-so-n-so LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Alabama

thats a lot of dirt to move by hand. I wouldn't do the bulk by hand.

8' X 60' X 4'....jeeees

Sometimes homeowners are so stupid to this type work. Its your job to educate.

Move by machine.
    Finish by hand.......is the only way unless you have plenty of time.

4. DKinWA

DKinWA LawnSite Member

That's a lot of material......(8x60x4)/27=71.1 cubic yards. Even if you only have to move half of it, that's still a lot of material to move. Makes my back hurt just thinking about it :eek: . Is there any chance to get the city to move it since they put it there? Possibly convince them to haul it away unless the homeowner really wants it there. Granted it's less money for you, but there's still the need for finish raking and reseeding to make things look nice.

5. Moe Fish

Moe Fish LawnSite Member
    from Fla

First I would see if the city would fix THEIR problem

6. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

That is 71 yards of dirt. That is a ton of dirt. Get a skid steer, or a bigger front end loader and drop it off throughout the yard in intervals and then grade it down. Thats to only way to do it.

7. hosejockey2002

hosejockey2002 LawnSite Bronze Member

That's actually around 100 tons of dirt.:D :eek: Way too much to move by hand.

8. Jb3NH

Jb3NH LawnSite Member

Thats a quite a load of clay. i wonder if theres a place that would take it for free..? At any rate Machine is the way go

9. steve in Pa.

steve in Pa. LawnSite Senior Member

your crazy if your gonna do it by hand. rent a skid loader and get it done in 1/2 of the time. run over the ditch line with the skid steer to pack it down. much better that naturally settling.

10. dvmcmrhp52

dvmcmrhp52 LawnSite Platinum Member
    from Pa.

Just one question,the homeowner obviously had to pay for this sewer line to be done or the city used a right of way through their property. Either way why would they want to pay someone to fix what should already have been done?