advice for cleaning pavement and concrete

Discussion in 'Power Washing' started by MSS Mow, Mar 20, 2012.

1. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Hey guys. I'm looking for advice for cleaning pavement and concrete. Typical stains are food/drink stains and of course some oil stains. Any particular products better than others?

Thanks in advance!

2. mistakube

mistakube LawnSite Member

I just did a large concrete driveway that looked like it hasn't been cleaned since it was installed 20 years ago. It was 1000SF driveway i used a cold water pressure washer and wet the whole driveway, then I used a mixture of TSP(Tri-sodium-Phosphate) and Bleach, you can get both at any hardware store. I went through two boxes of TSP and 3-4 Galllons of bleach. Mix 1/3 of the box of TSP and half a gallon bleach with 5 Gallons of warm water so the TSP dissolves or mix it really well with cold water. Brush it onto the wet driveway (i did the driveway in different sections) and let it sit for 15-20Min then go back with the washer and all the dirt and grease comes right off. Looks brand new customer was pleased. Bleach and TSP are both inert so its fine if it gets on the lawn or plants it wont hurt them. Good luck

3. MSS Mow

MSS Mow LawnSite Senior Member
    from Maine

Thanks for the advice! I will definitely try that.

4. georgialawn88

georgialawn88 LawnSite Bronze Member

no no no! I've been pressure washing for 8 years. go spend you th money on a surface cleaner. make some real money. pm me with any questions. i would be happy to give you my phone number and speak to you. its a profitable business and i will show you the ropes anytime. Thomas

5. Jimmy1002

Jimmy1002 LawnSite Member

We first apply a caustic degreaser with a pump sprayer. Then agitate the area with a brush in the heavily soiled areas and let it sit dormant for 10-15 minutes, without letting it dry.

The unit we use is a hydro-tech SCU series 8 gpm dual operator. Our burner gets us to right around 200 degrees. We buy our degreaser locally and occasionally make it ourselves.

image.jpg

6. Jimmy1002

Here's the after of that dumpster pad. Couldn't figure out how to post both pics in one post

image.jpg

7. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic

BLEACH will kill grass and plants. Outdoor bleach will not but I still rinse it off.

8. whiffyspark

whiffyspark LawnSite Fanatic

What is "outdoor bleach".I use 12.5% as long as stuff stays wet it won't kill anything
    Posted via Mobile Device

9. Jimmy1002

If I'm working around plants and grass doing soft wash, we pre-saturate the area and bag up drains pouts to avoid killing plants.

As long as the plants aren't thirsty, they won't drink up all the chem

10. RussellB

RussellB LawnSite Fanatic