1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community on the Franchising Forum.

Dismiss Notice

Advice for distributing postcards/flyers

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by TN_mower, Oct 5, 2012.

1. TN_mower

TN_mower LawnSite Member
    from TN

I recently bought 5000 fall cleanup postcards from tangoprint.com. I plan on starting my own business while im in college working solo at this time. My brother is going to help me with these fall cleanups and we're going to be handing them out soon. We're going from mailbox to mailbox (by car) and need some advice. I plan on using the newspaper holder if the mailbox has one as the first choice. then inbetween the flag maybe if there is no newspaper holder. What are some good tips on going from mailbox to mailbox?

I plan on passing out 1000 to start out with this weekend. Is it too soon? Should i pass out more? Help is greatly appreciated!

2. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Petal down and slam them on.

3. TN_mower

TN_mower LawnSite Member
    from TN

explain slam them on. you mean tape them on mailboxes if theres no where to place the card? i get the petal down part though :D no prob there.

4. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Any way you can get them to stay on. It's bonus weekend to.No mail on Monday ,so if your mailman likes to take things down ,now is the time to put them out.

5. KrayzKajun

KrayzKajun LawnSite Fanatic

Its illegal to attach anything to a mailbox or put anything in it without postage. Be careful with anything involving a mailbox. You would be better off going door to door or just mailing them.
    Posted via Mobile Device

6. DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING

DEPENDABLE LANDSCAPING LawnSite Bronze Member

No where near the mailbox unless you want A call feom the postmaster and yes they will take all your postcards and throw them away.
    Yes i am speaking feom experience.. one of my guys thought it would be easier to put door hangers in the mailbox!
    Anyway get them out sooner than later and double hit desireable areas in another week or two.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. ringahding

ringahding LawnSite Senior Member

KRAZY is correct....illegal! My dad worked for the Post Office for 35 years...Door to door, Paper boxes or direct mail. Now is a great time for flyers..

8. inzane

inzane LawnSite Silver Member

yesterday i noticed that one of my competitors had a nasty review on google places because of putting flyers on mailboxes.. and doing it in a neighborhood with no soliciting sign at front.

9. Darryl G

Darryl G LawnSite Fanatic

Yup, illegal to put anywhere in or on the mailbox. Enforcement varies.

10. tonygreek

tonygreek LawnSite Gold Member

"No part of a mail receptacle may be used to deliver any matter not bearing postage, including items or matter placed upon, supported by, attached to, hung from, or inserted into a mail receptacle. Any mailable matter not bearing postage and found as described above is subject to the same postage as would be paid if it were carried by mail."

Source: USPS Policies