1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

advice for eliminating clumps

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Sir mowsalot, Jun 5, 2004.

1. Sir mowsalot

Sir mowsalot LawnSite Senior Member

I just found this site today, and it is such a help. Im hoping someone can give me advice on the best way to eliminate clumps as much as possible. I have a 48" wb scag. Is there a good set up for this machine to tackle this problem?
  2. Lux Lawn

Lux Lawn LawnSite Silver Member

Get your backpack blower out after and blow them to break them up.
  3. Sir mowsalot

Sir mowsalot LawnSite Senior Member

I do do that, only i have a hand held blower. Are the backpacks much more powerful?
    Also i found that using the trimmer on some of the clumps will do a tremendous job. but my question was more on the lines of prevention of clumps
  4. LwnmwrMan22

LwnmwrMan22 LawnSite Platinum Member

Don't mow when it's wet.... that's what the Ferris rep said once.
  5. GreenTurf

GreenTurf LawnSite Member
    from NJ

buy a walker or toro rider with a collection system. It will take care of all your problems. I used to run over some lawns 3 times to break up clippings but just not as good as collecting clippings. Also if you collect clippngs its a good selling point to new customers.
  6. lawnscapes

lawnscapes LawnSite Member

we often raise up the deck on the z's 1/2" above finish cut and run over the clumps ( only on yards that dont have to look perfect) or just use the blower.
  7. mkwl

mkwl LawnSite Bronze Member

If you don't want clumps, bag the clippings. Or don't cut when it is wet!
  8. Lawn-Scapes

Lawn-Scapes LawnSite Silver Member

If you think your mower is clumping when it shouldn't then there are number of things that could be wrong... such as improper pitch, belts too slack, low rpms, etc. Check these things and make sure the underside of the deck is clean. If you are cutting weekly and at 3.5" you shouldn't be getting much clumping now.

Good luck...
  9. chuckers

chuckers LawnSite Senior Member

Gator blades help
  10. Shady Brook

Shady Brook LawnSite Bronze Member
    from Indiana

What year is your Scag? Yes a backpack is much stronger then a handheld.