Advice for English Garden

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by Humble Earth Mover, Nov 10, 2007.

1. Humble Earth Mover

Humble Earth Mover LawnSite Member

What does English Garden mean to you? I'm going to be seeing a potential client tomorrow that is looking to add an English Garden look to her back yard. Does anyone have any advice on good sources of information regarding what an English Garden entails? I have a good base knowledge of plants and design, but have never designed an English Garden per se. I immediately think of lavender, boxwoods, delphinium, foxglove, things like this. I'm looking for what defines something as an English garden as opposed to just a perennial garden besides off course the boxwoods. Also, what perennials and annuals come to mind for an English garden. Thanks for the help....just trying to be better prepared. Even if someone could just steer me toward a good website, I'd appreciate it.

2. EagleLandscape

EagleLandscape LawnSite Platinum Member
    Male, from Garland, Texas

The plant materials you suggested are dead on. As long as they will work in your region.

Let me get my history of landscape architecture book at and get back to you. I think I slept through that whole class.

Incorporate a sitting area if you can, that's the one thing I can remember. Raised garden was typical.

Thyme groundcover is also another good plant to include.

3. grandview (2006)

grandview (2006) LawnSite Gold Member

Go to Google and do images and type in "English Garden" and you'll get a couple of quick pixs.

4. Humble Earth Mover

Humble Earth Mover LawnSite Member

Thanks! I did a few searches and found this site to be helpful, in case anyone else runs into the English Garden design.

http://www.bellaonline.com/site/englishgarden

Also, pics on google are pretty good. Thanks for the help!

5. Focal Point Landscapes

Focal Point Landscapes LawnSite Senior Member

There is formal and informal styling in English gardens , looks like you have already found sufficient reference material - just don't forget roses and poppys .

6. NNJLandman

NNJLandman LawnSite Bronze Member

Usually the incorporate like said, a pea gravel walkway with a small sitting area in the garden. Maybe a stone fountain or something/.

7. Kate Butler

Kate Butler LawnSite Senior Member

One of the loveliest English gardens I ever saw used lavendar as the edging plant. It was sheared hard annually and became very woody at the base - almost like bonsai (the garden was over 300 years old). You can also use the dwarf red-leaved barberry (if it's not yet illegal to plant where you are). It takes well to hard shearing and will hold its' shape from one season to the next.

Creeping thyme is great in paths. I use flat native stone for paths and creeping thyme between.