1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Advice for examining a 2001 Lazer z

Discussion in 'eXmark' started by bilobob, Apr 29, 2004.

1. bilobob

bilobob LawnSite Member

I plan to look at a 2001 Lazer Z, 25 HP, 60" for residential use on a 3 acre property. It has 630 hrs on it and has only had belts and one front tire replaced according to the seller. What should I be looking for and what questions should I ask?
  2. eXmark

eXmark Manufacturer / Sponsor

At 630 hours I would make sure the PTO/electric clutch is engaging as it should. I would inspect the belts as well. If they are cracked it's probably not a real big deal but it there are "chunks" missing they should be replaced. It couldn't hurt to pull the belt off the trim side pulley and spin blades to see if the bearings are rough. In a perfect world you would take it to a dealer and have a "leak down" test performed. This is similar to a compression test but works much better on modern power equipment engines. If you can't get a leak down test performed you may want to pull the spark plugs and check for any signs of oil fouling.

You'll probably want to go through the lubrication points and change the oil and filters right away if you buy it just to be safe.

I hope this helps.