Advice For Fertilizer

Discussion in 'Fertilizer Application' started by idreamgreen, Jun 27, 2007.

1. idreamgreen

idreamgreen LawnSite Member

I'm one year new into 2 contracts and this business for that matter. Both places have not been fertilized in the past and I have been asked to not only fertilize, but reseed bare spots as well. First how much more should I charge in my contract next year for the applications, how often and what fertilizer to use? Second, any advice on the reseeding of bare spots. Both contracts are for assisted living apartments. I get 800 now for a property that is on @ 6 acres, with 6 buildings on it so approx 2 acres to treat. The other is 460 a month for around 1 acre total to treat. I read into this subject as much as possible but admit most if not all I have done is just the mow, edge, weed-eat, blow and go! These are great contracts that I want to keep each year, I want to do the very best job and most important I want to learn everything about this business! I have had the best advice and info on this site and appreciate all the info about this subject as one is willing to give. Thanks in advance.

2. ampeg76

ampeg76 LawnSite Senior Member

i'm sure most will respond with, "find your costs to do the job, then bid accordingly!", that would be the best scenario were you don't lose your ass

having said that, 400-500 bucks per acre for treatments sounds nice, but if that includes mowing and maintenance per month, not so good:(

3. Victor

Victor LawnSite Bronze Member

There are so many variables that would affect your pricing structure and application program, that it would be almost impossible for anyone on the outside, looking in to guide you on that. I will tell you this. It sure sounds like you have a good opportunity there. It's really beneficial to you that you have until next year to get your ducks in a row for offering applications to your customers. If I were you, I wouldn't waste any time getting my license, so that when the time comes for you to start doing those apps, you won't miss a beat.

For a guy that's looking to soak up all the information he can about apps, you came to the right place. I'd also highly recommend that you get into contact with some people in your area that do apps and start picking their brains to find out the answers to your aforementioned questions. I'm recommending you do this, because the applicators in your area will know what the going rates are in your area. They will also be able to clue you in on what kind of programs work best in your area. Another great resource for information you could tap, would be one of your local fertilizer suppliers. If you go in and ask for help and information, most will be glad to give it to you.

Some applicators you approach will inevitably give you the cold shoulder, but if you can find just a couple of applicators who are willing to help you, they will be a tremendous resource for you. Good luck! :)

4. idreamgreen

idreamgreen LawnSite Member

Just wanted to say thanks, I knew I could rely on this site!! The first thing I tell anyone wanting to get into this business is to check out this site and read read read!! Thanks again!