advice for getting started (commercially)

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by BG mower, Oct 16, 2003.

1. BG mower

BG mower LawnSite Member

I am a sophmore in college who has been mowing residential yards since i was 14. I have learned most of the ropes with residential and now i am looking to expand to commercial properties, mainly factories. My funds are limited ($7,000) and i need some advice. Any suggestions from anyone else who mows large estates, 5-acres, on what i should do? here is a list of what i have to work with $7000, truck, trailer, plenty of trimmers blower. I have a john Deere rider, but i need a commercial mower. I was wondering what you would recommend. Here is my list of questions.
    1) what type of mower is would be best for me 72'' or 60''
    2) approximately how many factories (or hours of mowing/week) should i bid on. I am a full time pharmacy student and i can work approximately 20 hrs. a week and i have two people who will work for me.
    3) would you recommend fertilizing, or should i leave it to someone else? (i have studied to take the test to get my license)
    4) am i making a mistake going to commercial properties? should i wait and save more funds and just expand my residential accounts this year?

Thanks a lot i hope to hear from you
    Lon
    Premier Lawn Care

2. G-father

G-father LawnSite Member

I would say dont go larger than a 60 inch.

Put school first. Start off small and grow gradually.

If your close to getting the license why not?

I would start with some larger residential properties. Commercial accounts can be very demanding on times that you mow etc.

You can buy a lot of mower for 7000 but if I were you I would buy a smaller used walk behind 32-48 inch and a large walkbehind or a good used ztr rider. With three workers you will want more than one commercial mower.

3. costcutter

costcutter LawnSite Member
    from georgia

IF 20 HOURS IS WHAT HE CAN GIVE I'M NOT SURE ABOUT W/B. I'M NOT SAYING G-FATHER IS WRONG I'M JUST CONCERNED ABOUT TIME , MOST FACTORIES HAVE A LOT OF GROUND TO COVER