Advice for new member

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by volranger, Jul 23, 2004.

1. volranger

volranger LawnSite Member

I am wanting to start my own lawn care business as a second job (mowing, trimming, edging). What is your opinion on trying to start this late in the season? Should I wait until next spring or try to start by early August of this year? I look forward to your responses.

V/R
    JUCO

2. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Wait it out. Start putting things togeather, advertising and such but so you are good and ready for next spring.

3. kbenvironmental

kbenvironmental LawnSite Member

You might get fewer responses this late but start as soon as you can, get a few jobs under your belt, and learn the ropes before next season.

4. EastProLawn

EastProLawn LawnSite Bronze Member

I agree, test the waters with some small acounts to see if this is really what you want.

5. T Edwards

T Edwards LawnSite Member

Like Famous Amos said, everyone told him to wait for the right time, but there's no time like right now.

Even if you only pick up 4 or 5 accounts this summer that will be a good starting base for next spring.

Good luck

6. Groundcover Solutions

Groundcover Solutions LawnSite Bronze Member

Looks like I have been over ruled. I guess now thinking about it. As long as you are not going into full time as your only means of support right away go for it.

7. HOOLIE

HOOLIE LawnSite Gold Member

I would get started now. I get calls all throughout the season, not as many now as in the spring, but people are always looking. In the summer, you get people who don't like the heat, and people who haven't been happy with their current service and are looking to switch.

8. volranger

volranger LawnSite Member

Thank you for the advice

V/R
    JUCO