advice for newbie

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by Frazr58, Sep 6, 2006.

1. Frazr58

Frazr58 LawnSite Member

looking to get out of mowing and into fertilization for next year. Is there a resource anyone can recommend to help me learn the most I can about it before jumping in? I just picked up "fundamentals of turfgrass management" by Nick Christians. thanks.

2. mrkosar

mrkosar LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ohio

the archives will teach you a lot. Paul Sachs "Handbook of Successful Ecological Lawn Care" is a good one. Then, just go to the local library and check out every book they have. Good luck.

3. upidstay

upidstay LawnSite Bronze Member
    from CT

No offense intended, but the "Lawns for Dummies" book is pretty good. I refer to my copy occasionally. Ortho published a nice series on gardening with a pretty good turf one too. This site is a good resource. Call your local Agricultural Extension service. Ours in CT has some great guys. Buy them lunch one day and pick their brain for a couple of hours. Lesco.com has a bunch of links to check out. Ohio online (Ohio State U) and UMass have some great sites. Your SUNY branches must have some good people. Go to turf conferences and actually go to the seminars. Alot of guys just wander around for the free stuff and then leave, but I've learned alot at them over the years. Call your local Lesco. They will sometimes have seminars too.
    Good luck!!