Advice for Newbie

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by anchormenrugby, Aug 14, 2007.

1. anchormenrugby

anchormenrugby LawnSite Member

I have worked on lawns, golf courses on and off for 20+ years. I am looking to have a part-time enterprise for myself. A one-person crew (me) and I am looking for advice.

I am planning on solely working on cutting lawns with the applicable trimming and subsequent cleanup like clipping/blowing off the walkways and driveways. To start, I am thinking of the following equipment:

1. Fairly new V6 Toyota Tacoma
    2. Either Gravely, John Deere or Husqvarna Z-turn (48-52" deck)
    3. Push mower of whatever brand (advice for some here)
    4. Echo Trimmer
    5. Echo or Husqvarna Backpack blower.
    6. Used trailer from my old man.

The plan will be a legitimate business, insurance and whatnot. I am looking to have about 15-20 lawns to start as I do have another job. I am debating a power vacuum for the mower for cleanups.

Let me know your opinions about this being a feasible small, part-time venture. (I do not plan on purchasing accounts, just advertising for new accounts. I don’t plan on procuring accounts from other businesses directly or undercutting existing businesses. Just want something small to fill time as I go.

2. growabiz

growabiz LawnSite Member

Best of luck. Will these accounts be commercial or residential--this will determine amounts of liability coverrage as well as whether you invest in a Zero-turn vs. a commerical walk-behind. If this part-time run lean.

3. LawnBrother

LawnBrother LawnSite Senior Member
    from SW Ohio

Well I think it's definitely feasible. My advice would be to set a high minimum price for any job, and go for higher quality accounts that bring in good money. If you spend your time trying to get any account you can regardless of price you will end up with a bunch of underpriced pita accounts and you will work your ass off for peanuts.

4. Lawnut101

Lawnut101 LawnSite Silver Member

Agreed. I always was afraid of giving too high of a price, but now I always tell people a high price, especially if I don't want the job. Always overbid a little.

5. GroundForce007

GroundForce007 LawnSite Member
    from Texas

yeah always over price a little bit