Advice for quick/cheap walk way

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by scott's turf, Apr 4, 2006.

1. scott's turf

scott's turf LawnSite Senior Member
    from NH

I have a customer that would like a cheap walk way put in that is mostly just for looks. She was thinking that she just wanted some crushed stone but I am worried about retaining it with some type of edging because it will partially boarder some mulch beds. The walk way would be approxamately 20' long. The house is really old and has a lot of granite accents and thought it would look better if I used grante cobble stone for the boarder and then used 3/4 stone or pea stone for the walk itself. I think they would go for the extra cost but would like to see a picture of something like this if anyone has done that or any other sudgestions.

Thanks in advance.
    -Scott

2. MarcusLndscp

MarcusLndscp LawnSite Senior Member

I've done just that before with a cobble edge and stone path. It looks pretty good but I'm not sure I'd want to use it as a primary walkway material...it's just not very stable. Sorry no pics. I would consider the application in a secondary or tertiary walk though.

3. scott's turf

from NH

thanks for the reply. As I stated this walkway is just for looks. There are 4 other doors to the house.

4. scott's turf

from NH

Any idea what you guys would charge for a walk way like this? Let's say 40' of coble stone edging and 1 yard of crushed stone.

5. ECS

ECS LawnSite Bronze Member

Golf course here did one in small bark and believe it or not, it looked great.

6. jarroo's lawncare

jarroo's lawncare LawnSite Member

go to the river and gather some rock for an edge then just get some decorative gravel and fill in the middle.