advice for someone starting out

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by bubba, Mar 5, 2000.

1. bubba

bubba LawnSite Member

just started a business up<br>and was wondering the proper way to<br>price a residential bid per cut or by<br>the month and what a 80x120 lot would be cut,<br>edged,trimmed,hedges done,everything blowed off should be bid at <br>have 60&quot; ztr<br>trimmers <br>blowers<br>edgers<br>ins.<br>in north centeral florida

2. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

I KNOW GUYS THAT DO RES.FOR $12.THEY COME IN AND GET 5 OR 6 LAWNS IN THE AREA AND GET THEM DONE QUICK. THIS IS REALLY A CUT-THROAT AREA,GOODLUCK! I USUALLY GET A MIN.$25 FOR A 15-20 MIN.LAWN(1 MAN) BUT I'M IN AN UNIQUE AREA OF S.CENTRAL FL<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING

3. Kevin

Kevin LawnSite Member
    from S.E. PA

Some advice, Which road do you wish to travel? Are you going to be like the co.'s that charge too little, and don't care as much about quality ,are always rushing to get the job done etc. Or are you going to charge what you are worth and do the job right? I always like to hear a potential customer say &quot;Well the co. we had here last year did it for this much less, and they took 15 mins. to do it.&quot; I know that this customer will probably be willing to pay more for aquality job. I just had another person say this to me 3 days ago. I said this is MY price I do the job right etc. Got their jobs for Y2K. Hope this helps. Don't sell yourself short!

4. bubba

bubba LawnSite Member

dmc300 do you charge for each cut or per month?

5. bubba

bubba LawnSite Member

kevin i`am trying to build this company on quailty,so i`am going the extra mile to<br>do the best that can be done<br>i do not want to sell myself short thats<br>why i`am trying too get some opinion`s<br>from other pro.

6. DMC300

DMC300 LawnSite Senior Member

BUBBA,I OFFER CERTAIN CUSTOMERS A MONTHLY CONTRACT OPTION BUT I FIND MOST PREFER TO PAY PER MOWING/JOB ETC...EVEN AFTER 4 YEARS THEY INSIST ON PAYING BIG IN THE SUMMER AND LESS DURING THE SLOW SEASON.THIS HURTS THE FIRST FEW SEASONS UNLESS YOU HAVE ALOT OF IRRIGATED PROPERTIES ON YOUR CLIENT LIST.I DON'T.LUCKILY WE HAVE A MUCH LONGER SEASON THAN MOST! IRRIGATED PROPERTIES MAY GO 30-38 MOWINGS PER YEAR X PRICE DIVIDED BY 12=MONTHLY PAYMENT. SORRY ABOUT THE MATH LESSON. HOPE THIS HELPS!<p>----------<br>DON<br>LIANNES' MOWING<br>

7. mikeslawn

mikeslawn LawnSite Member
    from florida

We are located in south central florida too. There is two of us and we do alot of 80x120 yards. We usually charge at least $30 it depends how easy it is. They generally won't pay too much more around here. It takes about 30-45 min (with a 50&quot; mower) to mow,trim,edge and blow to do a quality job. We usually charge seprate for hedges,weeding and those type jobs seperately. Most customers in our area are pay by the cut and they won't have it any other way. It is better to get the same amount of money every month so that you know where you stand money wise but it is hard to come by here.