Advice for the newbie

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by cwsourceone, Oct 18, 2003.

1. cwsourceone

cwsourceone LawnSite Member

Ok I am getting very close to buying my first walk-behind. I am getting into this business on a part time basis because i want to take it slow. So I have all of the essentials except for the mower. I have a redmax eb7001, stihl fs85, and a echo edger. Next step walk-behind.

I have been shopping around and would love to go with ex-mark but they are pricey. I have found a snapper 36 inch hydro with 17 hp Kawasaki with less than one month of use. The guy is asking 4000 for it new it will cost me about 4300 before taxes.

How is the cut quality of snapper. That is what I am most concerned with.

Or do you guys think i should just buy a belt drive ex-mark metro hp.

I am going to buy something within a week or two.

Thanks for all of your help.
  2. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

My Hydro eXmark 36" with ECS ( TTHP )was $4200.00 NEW. Why buy used for almost the same price? eXmark are "pricey" because things of quality cost money. Don't settle when it comes to YOUR livelyhood. Pay the little bit of extra, get the hydro eXmark, and don't look back. You'll never regret it.

3. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

If you like eXmark then do not settle for snapper and DO buy the hydro, like elephant sez "You'll never regret it".
  4. pinnacle

pinnacle LawnSite Senior Member

Yeh what the Nest said!!!

Don't get a snapper mate.......There cr#p mowers and you'll look a little unprofesional too.
    The stuff you got already is good and you want a machine that is true comercial grade if ya guna be cutting full time, something that will compliment the stuff you've already got.
    You'll get the snapper and you might think its ok and then arfter about a month you'll realize it's just not up to standards.

I think the TTHP is a good mower for ya.

Welcome to the site mate................All the best!
  5. rs-gmc

rs-gmc LawnSite Member

I agree with Liberty L & L. Don't settle for less quality just to save a few bucks. You will surely regret it down the road. I just purchased an eXmark 36' hydro TTHP and I love it.
  6. ElephantNest

ElephantNest LawnSite Bronze Member
    from La.

Accent, where in La. are you? Slidell here.
  7. crawdad

crawdad LawnSite Bronze Member

I have edited out some of your message, read what's left. Why is he selling it so soon? I have not run this model of snapper myself, but I did take a look at snappers while shopping around.
    I bought a Scag hydro WB with 17 Kawa, paid more than the Snapper, but I love it. The thing is built like a dozer, compared to snapper. As far as Scag vs my opinion it's like the Ford vs Chevy thing, they're both good, but you couldn't give me a Chevy, I'm a Ford man. (Except for that cherry 74 Chevy Nova my little old widow lady customer has, barely broke in, carport stored, original everything... I would reimburse her purchase price for that one...)
    If I were you, I'd buy the Exmark.
  8. cwsourceone

cwsourceone LawnSite Member

Thanks for the advice.

What about floating vs fixed. Should i pay the extra cash to get a floating deck. Most lawns here are bermuda in the front and fescue in the back. So I would need to change heights a good bit.

Also with a 36inch am i going to have any problems at all with scalping. Bermuda scalps really easy.

NCSERVICE LawnSite Member

If you are going to have to change height alot deffinatly go with a floating deck, no tools required
  10. kels

kels LawnSite Senior Member

You have answered your own question