Advice for TORO mulch kit or Gator Blades PLZZ!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by kevin11946ny, Jun 5, 2007.

1. kevin11946ny

kevin11946ny LawnSite Member

I bought an older model toro 14hp kawi 52" cut. Onecustomer compalined today maybe its just her since my others are satisfied and shes hard to please.

Anyway i bought this last month its around 12yo the blades were sharpened last month. Should i buy gator blades will this work on this mower cause my side discharge doesnt have a piece to block the grass as you can see on this picture. Do you guys even recommend using that piece if i could fine it.

Could i hook up a striping kit too i want to see those nice striped lines.

Do gator blades work good when the side discharge is open?

ON average how often should you sharpen your blades. 10 hours of grass cutting ect?

thanks

[​IMG]

2. kevin11946ny

Could someone out there reply with advice on my options with this mower, gator blades, high lift blades combination of both, striper kit.

thanks.

3. jbell113

jbell113 LawnSite Senior Member

Gators dont really work well for side discharging. They work well for mulching leaves. First thing I would get is a discarge chute. You will blow clippings in flower beds the way it is now. I sharpen my blades once a week. Dont know about striping kit. Ive seen some home made ones on here.

4. kevin11946ny

how much do you think a discharge chute will cost? What about high lift blades for my mower?

thanks

5. kevin11946ny

can anyone easily sharpen there blades. ive seen some products on infomercials.

6. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

To mulch properly you will need the baffle kit and block off plate for that particular mower. Can be found online or at your dealer.

Yes, you can use gators and side discharge.

Anyone with a little skill can sharpen blades. I use a nice bench grinder to start and finish with a sanding disc. Do a search on this site for sharpening blades and you will find endless information.

As far as price of blades, you can expect to pay around $10 per blade, depending on what you go with. I would try gators to start with.
    Personally, I have tried different types of blades, just to see what I like best and what works best on MY clients turf. You might want to do the same.

I don't run a discharge chute. I mulch most of the time. When I am not mulching, that usually means the grass is high so I just take off the mulching plate and cut with the same gator blades.

Yes you can buy or make a striping kit for your mower. That is just personal preference.

Avoid infomercial crap.

You haven't washed your mower yet? Clean that puppy up and take some pride in your overall appearance. Not trying to bash you.

7. jrush

jrush LawnSite Member

i don't see a diiferance with the gator blades, still have to rake up clippings

8. Grits

Grits LawnSite Silver Member
    from Florida

?????????
    You have got to be doing something wrong.

9. LindblomRJ

LindblomRJ LawnSite Silver Member

Keeps the blades sharp. Also might want to think about a set of high lift blades.

Gators if you add the baffles might be okay for mulching.

10. ohanyan1

ohanyan1 LawnSite Member

I have a 2007 Exmark TTHP 1748 and I use Gators and side discharge. The discharge that comes out is like powder. I used these blades year round and I love them. It leaves the lawn looking amazing.

By the way, Gator blades are not designed to be used with any sort of baffle or plug. They are best utilized with a full side discharge.