advice for UK couple buying lawn/landscape business

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by tinaty, Apr 18, 2003.

1. tinaty

tinaty LawnSite Member
    from england

My family and I have sold up and are coming out in three weeks to search for a lawn/landscaping business. We have been to Florida and the USA on many occasions and would like to live around the Gulf coast area. I am a qualified diesel mechanic, have a few years golf course machinery/irrigation maintenance and helped out with cutting greens, tees, surrounds and banks etc. My wife is the smart one with a degree and many years of business management. We have a list of brokers/businesses to see and an immigration attorney on hand, but thatÂ’s about it. All help and advice would be extremely helpful and appreciated.

Paul & Tina Thatcher

Stafford UK

paul.thatcher@ntlworld.com

2. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

well..lucky enough I can help you with some immigration issues..my wife is Canadian. First of all a couple of questions, do you have your green card yet? Do you have a social security number issued to you yet? Do you have any sponsers here to fall back on? Heck it took my wife almost 2 years before she was allowed to work here. Before you jump into everything really double check to make sure that yes you can do this and all of your paperwork is together. Another important thing to remind you about the INS, triplicate everything and I mean everything. You can never have too much copies with the INS.

Like I said really double and triple check everything because what happens when you expect that you can do it, but then you can't and you're stranded with nothing.

3. tinaty

tinaty LawnSite Member
    from england

Hi, We are coming out on an E2 Visa. the businesses we are coming to see fit the e2 criteria. basicly must have tax returns of $70000 plus net profit and have at least 2 US emplyees.

4. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

sounds like the INS situation then is fine. Good luck to you in regards to a successful business here.:)

5. Old 5 LawnCare

Old 5 LawnCare LawnSite Member