Advice from the pro's

Discussion in 'Pesticide & Herbicide Application' started by fall46, Jun 15, 2005.

1. fall46

fall46 LawnSite Member

I know this will be a "second nature" question for many of you. I reseeded my lawn last fall.l For the most part it came in really well ,however their were some spots that did not take where I reseeded 3-4 weeks ago. Iam now starting to get a fair amount of what I think is broadleaf and or other weeds. I would like to put down some fertilizer with some weed control and had been looking @ scotts turf builder with weed killer... My question is do u have any recommedations for retail products or is this brand good .......Will this kill all the broadleaf? Iam in MN

Secondly with the grass being relatively young, instead of applying it @ 3.25 which is the prescribed rate could I do half that rate and then apply more say in couple weeks. I'am concerned the grass isn't mature enough yet...They say apply once every 2 months.

Any suggestions, help would be great.
  2. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

If the area is smaller, hand pull till the grass is mature enough to handle herbicide. If not I would wait, nurture whats there, then herbicide it later, and reseed the bare spots again
  3. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

How about some quick growin perennial rye to fill in those bare spots, and a little extra mositure / irragation surely couldnt hurt either.[ as weeds excellerate in dry conditions] :)
  4. fall46

fall46 LawnSite Member

How does one know the grass is mature?
  5. Rtom45

Rtom45 LawnSite Senior Member

grass is considered mature after 2 or 3 cuttings at 2.5 to 3 inches
  6. fall46

fall46 LawnSite Member

anysuggestions retail wise what to use? tips tricks......??????
  7. turfmann

turfmann LawnSite Platinum Member
    from PRM

Grass is mature when it can accept responsibility for its decisions and actions.

Maybe I'm mistaken, but isn't applying a pesticide at half-rate still considered off label? Twice at half rate is not at all the same as once at full rate, taking time into consideration.

I agree that if the areas are small, the best course of action is to hand pull. Herbicides are not benign to grasses regardless of age.
  8. topsites

topsites LawnSite Fanatic

Sometimes the grey hairs are a good indicator as well.
  9. TurfProSTL

TurfProSTL LawnSite Senior Member

Wait until the new grass has been cut at least three times. Then apply your weed & feed. Oh, and go at the label rate. Two half-azz applications don't equal one done correctly.....