Advice: Leaf bin on pickup bed?

Discussion in 'Turf Renovation' started by OKSooner, Jul 20, 2008.

1. OKSooner

OKSooner LawnSite Member

This fall I'm going to be doing leaves (probably by myself) with my 3/4 ton pickup and a leaf loader mounted on my 5x10 trailer, blowing the leaves into the bed of the truck.

Anyone have instructions or suggestions on how to build a leaf bin onto the bed of a 3/4 ton truck that the leaves will jump out of when I get to my dump site? Wish it was a 1 ton and a 6-1/2 x 14 trailer, and a couple of hired helpers, but I've got to pray every day and go with what I've got.

2. gene gls

gene gls LawnSite Gold Member

I used a 3/4 ton pickup for a few years. I made a frame out of 1" square tube steel. 3 sections that bolted togeather and sat on the top of the pickup bed rail like a cap. I fastened 1/4" plywood on the out side with bolts. For the back door I made a frame out of 3/4" pine, nailed on 1/4" hardware cloth and cut 2 pieces of 1/4" plywood the size of the pine frame and fastened one on each side of the pine frame. I hung it from the top, it was light enough so I lifted it off the truck to unloade. I used a mesh netting for the top for ventilitation. I loaded from the front so the heaviest material was at the back for unloading. I used a potato hook to unload with, 15 min for a dry load and 1/2 hour for a wet load. I had an 8 HP loader at the time, used 6" stove pipe from the truck to the loader. I had my loader mounted on a wood dolly so I could move it where ever I wanted it.

I still load my truck from the front and use a steel dolly frame for my 16 HP loader. I did step up to a dump truck to make life easier.

3. farmboy52787

farmboy52787 LawnSite Member

Cut some 2x4's to fit right into the stake pockets of the pick up bed and then screw plywood to the outside and buy a mesh tarp to put over the top. Dont put plywood over on the back, but make sure your mesh tarp is long enough so it can hang over the back down to the tailgate. You can buy mesh tarps on Amazon for like 20 bucks and also get some flexible hose to attach to the spout of your leaf loader. Then cut a hose in the mesh tarp and you can stick the hose right through the hole and you'll be set. Also make sure your box is tall enough so you will easily be able to stand and pitch the leaves out of the bed. I made mine to short so i had to pitch them out on my knees and it sucked, took 10-15 mins though. And get one of those pitch forks with about a dozen tines, they work the best for pitching them out. Another idea that worked for me wash to put a tarp down underneath and up the side a little, that way when most of the leaves are out, I could pull the tarp out and get a whole bunch of the leaves out. Now I have a one ton dump so no more shoveling for me. Overall i spent about $75 for the wood and the tarps.

4. farmboy52787

Heres some pics

Image004.jpg

Image005.jpg

Image006.jpg

5. OKSooner

OKSooner LawnSite Member

Cool, thanks... How did you cut the 2x4's for the pockets?

6. farmboy52787

measure the pocket and take 3.5 inches minus your measurement, divide that by 2, and take that amount off each side of 2x4 but only like 4 inches up, and copy it 6 times so all your posts will be equal