Advice needed Looking to start up!!!

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Rangerob05, Aug 13, 2003.

1. Rangerob05

Rangerob05 LawnSite Member

ok, basically looking to start a landscaping business from the ground up. I am basically a numbers guy right now. If I am going to do this it must be done right. Looking for the overhead cost out there. What are the costs out there on a monthly basis.(ie rent, insurance, workers comp, taxes) What are you guys paying for your overhead. Maybe I am missing something here.

I think I would like to work with a 50% net profit margin. Is that possible? Looking to make this into a 12 month thing with adding more and more items each year to give to the customers.

What do you think is the best equipment to start out with?(remember I don't have a lawn yet)

Basically looking for some advice from you guys out there. I have worked in the business. Family has owned a business for over 30 years. So if done right I can make a good living and have a great time.(basically sick of depending on others for the money)

thanks and keep posting

rob

2. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

3. tiedeman

tiedeman LawnSite Fanatic
    from earth

I never made a profit until after 2 years.

4. fblandscape

fblandscape Banned

Does that profit margin include your salary? If not... you need to do some serious research. Even if it does include your salary you need to do some research. Go to local dealers, insurance agents, real estate companies, an accountant, etc. They will be able to help you a lot more than we will be able to seeing as how you are looking for figures.

5. BSDeality

BSDeality LawnSite Silver Member

i think my advice would be to start out PT. work another job 3-4 days a week and work the rest doing lawns. if you do good work you'll grow in no time. However it's getting to that 10-20 client mark before you'll start seeing real money. Also, as you're working another job, you'll quickly realize how every other career sucks in comparision to being your own boss, making more than $9.50/hr doing mindless crap and you get to be outside (not always a good thing, but most of the time).

Bust your arse off doing quality work, then go for the extras like patios, lawn installs, renovations, overseeding, chems, aeration. the possibilities are endless.