Advice needed: tapping into water main for sprinklers

Discussion in 'Irrigation' started by bobc9, Oct 24, 2007.

1. bobc9

bobc9 LawnSite Member

Greetings. Hope I can get some advice from the pros.

I am planning to install a lawn sprinkler system myself. It seems I have figured out everything dowm stream the automatic valve but haven't found the proper way to tap into the water main.

We have 5/8" meter in the yard. 1" SIDR 7 poly connects to the meter yoke and runs into the house. Once in the house it converts to PEX. This seems fairly standard here as all new constructions use the same type of pipe. It does freeze in winter in this area.

Now I heard to tap into pipe, use an insert Tee with SS clamps. I am a little concerned by this approach, as this in the main line. If it leeks the valve right before the meter has to be shut off - no water in house. And it is buried 2' under ground. I don't want to dig it open and fix a leek in a few years.

What is the standard way for the tapping?

Thanks.

2. CAPT Stream Rotar

CAPT Stream Rotar LawnSite Fanatic

is the poly after the meter?

3. bobc9

bobc9 LawnSite Member

Yes. Poly is after the meter. Meter >> meter yoke (copper pipe) >> 1" poly into house

4. CAPT Stream Rotar

you should be able to shut off the water from meter >Point of connection(poc) for the sprinks?

5. bobc9

bobc9 LawnSite Member

Yes, there is a valve right before meter. I will shut it off when tapping into the main line.

I am not sure barb insert T is a proper and reliable way for tapping. If it is not a good way and develops a leek at the T I would have to shut that valve before the meter in order to stop the leek, until I can dig it up and fix it. The house will have no water.

6. CAPT Stream Rotar

ok buddy..

is your poly 100 or 200 psi rated?

7. bobc9

bobc9 LawnSite Member

200 psi. SIDR 7 is ID controlled.

8. CAPT Stream Rotar

sounds about right.

talk to your local supplier on what you will need.

you will need a torch, 1'' pinch clamps, and some poly cutters.

its very simple. dont make it to hard and remember you can always fix you mistakes..
    i say dive in brotha....

i could literally walk you through with pictures.

9. bobc9

bobc9 LawnSite Member

What kind of T is to be used with this setup? Since you said poly cutter I assume the poly is tapped into... but torch? Do torch and poly get along?

10. CAPT Stream Rotar

torch>poly = best friends..

the torch allows you to insert the barbed fitting in with ease.