Advice needed

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by B&Clawncare, May 8, 2013.

1. B&Clawncare

B&Clawncare LawnSite Member

I had someone come up to me the other day and ask me of I could fix tire marks in their yard caused by their irresponsible tree guy.
    These trenches made by the tire are about a foot wide and about 2 inches deep probably 15-20 feet long. They want it leveled out.

I thought about just digging up one side of the sod and putting fill dirt to build it back up.

I'd like to know what others would do!
    Posted via Mobile Device

2. B&Clawncare

Anyone?
    Posted via Mobile Device

3. Vecchio Lawn Care

Vecchio Lawn Care LawnSite Senior Member

I would dig the grass up where the rut is and then tamp dirt down until level to ground when so lays ontop. Figure a inch above outside grass because it will most likely settle.

4. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Senior Member

I had this exact thing happen to a customer two weeks ago. The neighbor had a tree company take down some trees and they drove across part of my accounts property. I took one of these (http://www.homedepot.com/p/Ames-D-Handle-Fork-1826200/202057286?N=bx6x#.UYrxJspYoyA) and pried the dirt and sod back up to near level. Twenty feet on a dual wheel track took me about 20 minutes. It is still lumpy but really recovered nice after all the rain the last few days. I'll possibly go back and fill with a sand / topsoil combination after a couple of mows if I still see depressions. This was Bermuda, northern grass would likely need filled and re-seeding.
    [​IMG]

5. herler

herler LawnSite Fanatic

For this to work you do have to know your grass types so you don't inadvertently put down the wrong kind...

I fill the ruts with topsoil, level it out, spread seed in the area with a heavy hand, rake it in, vioila.

6. B&Clawncare

It's KBG. I don't think I need to seed do I? The grass itself is still intact.
    Posted via Mobile Device

7. sehitchman

sehitchman LawnSite Senior Member

If you put fill over KBG it will probably have over a 3/4 kill rate. The cheap and simple fix is fill and seed. The expensive fix is lift the sod, you need to get probably 3" of the soil to keep the roots intact. Then fill and replace the sod. I doubt anyone will pay for this unless it is a high end customer.

8. orangemower

orangemower LawnSite Silver Member
    from pa

Just top dress the ruts a little at a time if you're there all the time.

9. Above Par Lawns

Above Par Lawns LawnSite Senior Member

run a sod cutter over the tracks
    Add topsoil
    Fert
    Till
    Tamp
    Level
    Sod
    $$

10. billc1004

billc1004 LawnSite Member

as far as an irresponsible tree guy. Things like that keep us in business !