Advice needed???

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by JonM, Oct 7, 2004.

1. JonM

JonM LawnSite Member

Hi, my name is Jon, I'm 18, and a full time commuter student in college majoring in small business administration. I have been mowing lawns since I was 8. I have had 2 steady customers for the past 5 years, and then have had a few one time mowings. This summer I finally decided to take the plunge and start a lawn care company to help pay for college. My approach has been delayed slightly due to a knee injury, however I figured I would take the new found free time to try to figure out my best approach. I have been saving money from mowing lawns and have purchased some equipment. I bought a 5 x 8 utility trailer with folding ramp, an Exmark Metro 36", an Echo trimmer, and an Echo PB-403 backpack blower. I have picked up 2 new customers so now I have a total of 4, but will cap it at that for this season because I am limited because of my knee.

A few questions for the seasoned professionals out there... I have done some research and am looking for some advice / guidance from those of you out there who have gone through the process of registering an LLC company. I also was wondering how much liability insurance I should get to cover only one person, and a ballpark figure of how much it should cost. The other thing I was wondering was if there was some sort of formula or flat cost per square foot to make an estimate on lawns. I'm sure I have forgotten some other important things, so any advice that you have to offer I would greatly appreciate. Thanks!
  2. buddhacj7

buddhacj7 LawnSite Member

I have $600,000 in General liability and it is a little over $600 a year.
  3. Team Gopher

Team Gopher LawnSite Platinum Member
    from -

4. JonM

JonM LawnSite Member

Hey, thanks for the insurance input. Is anyone out there familiar with registering it as an LLC, or do you have any additional advice. Also I am wondering a rough cost per square foot for mowing. Thanks!