1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Advice on 2-3yard Dump Trucks

Discussion in 'Trucks and Trailers' started by Axl, Apr 14, 2006.

1. Axl

Axl LawnSite Member

I am looking at getting into either a 5.4L gas F350 chassis body with a dump or a 5.4L gas Silverado chassis w/dump. I want to know if anyone has experience with these or can give me some advice. I will mainly be towing my lawn trailer with occassional landscap job.

2. echovalley

echovalley LawnSite Member
    from CT

We had a 04 F350 4x4 dump with the 5.4 9ft blade and 2yrd sander it pushed snow very well but its a little heavy on the fuel,but allways had good power.

NIXRAY LawnSite Senior Member

:usflag: :usflag:
  4. Axl

Axl LawnSite Member

Keep em coming guys, These are the deals I got so far......
    • 05 3500 Silverado Dump w/drop down sides..33100..550/mo for 72months
    • 06 3500 Silverado Ext Cab Dump w/drop down sides 35500..approx. 600/mo for 72mos
    • 06 F350 Single Cab Dump w/drop sides 577/mo...72mos
  5. Itsgottobegreen

Itsgottobegreen LawnSite Silver Member

DUDE you must be on crack. Why in the world would you want a 5.4L V8 in a F-350 dump truck. The V10 at a minum. Better yet a diesel. You are going to over work that 5.4 motor hauling any amount of weight. The dump bed alone is going to add 1000-1500 pounds of weight.

I got a 7.3 diesel in my F-350 dump and its still doesn't have enough power. Heck put 4 yards of dirt in the bed and then try to tow a skid loader. The 7.3 is bogging. The 5.4 wouldn't be able to make it over 45 mph while it was redlining.
  6. Dirty Water

Dirty Water LawnSite Fanatic

Yeah, its pretty counterproductive on both productivity and the wallet to have a gas powered dump.
  7. bobcat9957

bobcat9957 LawnSite Member

There is no 5.4 in the silverado, the smallest motor in a 3500 is the 6.0. I like both trucks but would say the chevy and the ford are about equal in the power department, both 300 horse and about 360 ft. pounds. But i will agree that the chevys comfort and interior is much nicer.
  8. 6'7 330

6'7 330 LawnSite Bronze Member

Last fall we bought a gasser, Chevy 3500, 6.0 .All the rest the trucks are duramax, Kodiak's and 3500 Chevy and Gmc's.It was mistake getting a gasser, the truck when loaded with just lawn clippings, or schredded leaves, pulls it like a crippled old lady, in comparsion to the D-Max.
  9. RedWingsDet

RedWingsDet LawnSite Gold Member
    from Detroit

I have the V10 in my F350 Dump with fold down sides too. Its great, tons of power, but drinks the gasoline.
  10. Axl

Axl LawnSite Member

AWWWWWWWW MANNNN, you guys are starting to burst my bubble. I was all excited about getting a DUMP and now Im starting to have second thoughts. Ive got one dude who says that the little gasser does a good job and everybody else says its TERRIBLE. I wish the diesels werent so dam expensive

Anymore opinions/experiences