Advice on 2 Acre Estates

Discussion in 'General Industry Discussions' started by CP Estates, Nov 23, 2005.

1. CP Estates

CP Estates LawnSite Member
    from North

First of all, yes I'm a newb. :waving:

More importantly, I'm looking for some advice. I'm located in a semi-rural area and have a neighbourhood next door to my 5 acres that has approximately 100 estates on +/- 2 Acre lots. The houses are in and around the $1MM mark so everyone is fairly well off. Because of a combination of A)my proximity to these neighbours, B) my past experience in groundskeeping and C) my wanting to be as close to home as possible, I figured that since I'm in need of a new half-decent commercial mower for my place and after 20 years of commuting and wearing a tie, I would have as good of a shot at getting maybe 15-20 of these estates and service the hell out of them while making a half-decent wage.

Is this as do-able as it seems given the fact that I am so close and have a business background?
  2. redoak77

redoak77 LawnSite Senior Member

Welcome to the Site!! By having a business background you are already ahead of many others on this site. You might have a harder time than you think getting 15-20 of them but you could end up with that many in a few years. Most importantly, make sure to sell a good service and don't try to sell based on low price. If your just working in that neighboorhood try to sell that fact. It would sound like they are getting more specialized service. Best of luck.

KERRTURF LawnSite Member

Sounds like you have the right idea with keeping a tight route, and targeting your areas. Just a couple of suggestions though...
    How established is this neighborhood? Are the homes fairly new? Keep in mind that some of the wealthiest neighborhoods house some of the cheapest people. Many who live in areas like this do everything for appearance. They may be struggling just to make the mortgage (bad for you), or they may be wealthy enough to afford to live in a beautiful home and have extra cash to keep the place looking nice (good for you). How much competition is in the area? What do other LCO's charge for services in the area? If you are currently maintaining your own 5 acres, you probably already have decent equipment to get you started. I love the accounts that are in the 2 acre range, because they are large enough to NOT draw the attention of the people who mow under the table for beer money. Like was said before, if you land a few of these accounts make sure you provide class"A" service. Get in touch with someone who is a certified for fert, and make good friends with someone who can install irrigation.
    Good Luck
  4. nocutting

nocutting LawnSite Senior Member

:) think we all have been to that neighborhood?.........on a Fluke, I got a call from a referance 3yrs ago in a gated community..........Flyers dont work?......Intro letters all fell in the waste basket..........No-one in this neighborhood knows their neighbor?............I'm happy with my 1 very verrrrrrry good account..............tell me your secret next year.............and Good Luck
  5. CP Estates

CP Estates LawnSite Member
    from North

I'm thinking that the best approach would be to stop by and introduce myself to as many as possible between now and Christmas with a poinsettia and Christmas card containing my business info. In addition, I plan to put a sharp-looking sign along the front of my property as they all go right by on the way to work and back daily.

What about rates? 2 acres seems to be going for around $100 / week. I'm thinking of throwing in something of "added-value" such as maybe free fall cleanup which would really only costs me my time off season.

I don't want to be a low-baller but want to be a community-based service that stands out from any others.
  6. AssuredServicesCo

AssuredServicesCo LawnSite Member

Man If you really think trading one job for another is that easy think again. You'll be busting your butt in the weather and be performing work that many people think is nothing and dont respect. The work is not always guaranteed and you will be on the service end of things no matter how much you think you are worth.

Now the good part...if you are completely driven and can remember why you wanted to do this even each time you dont have much money and the pressures from doing it make your family life tough then it can be really rewarding.

It's tough... so respectfully...make sure it's your passion...then you won't really count the cost you, and your family, will surely incur. How do I know? I've busted mine for a long time and just want to pass on a little advise to those who think it's an easy thing. It's always easy to start anything new...but it's a tough row to hoe.

I wouldn't trade it...because it's my passion. Rock On and think about it.