Advice on 72" ZTR

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by luckylawnboy, Nov 2, 2000.

1. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

WEll how many of you are using 72" mowers. I have never ran one before and wasn't aware of the power requirements. I have 60 Dixie flatlander that is the best thing on gods Earth to me. The 25 hp kohler is great. But is it enough to run a 72"??. Dixie's spec sheet says there Single engine gas 72" will only run 8 mph, Well if you use this equation from Exmark the 72" it will not out mow a 60" Flatlander at 12-13 mph.

72" x 8mph /120 for 80% effiency = 4.8 a/hour

60" x 12mph /120 = 6 a/hour

So what are some opinions on running 72" are they woth it or not and, what about power?

2. gorrell

gorrell LawnSite Senior Member

I too have a flatlander and thought it was the cat's meow until I got my new s'burb'n turb'n. This machine will make a believer out of you. We maintain a commercial property with approximately 45 acres of grass. When we started we ran two Ransomes T-3102 3 wheel riders and it took 7 to 7.5 hours to mow it all, then I graduated to 2 61" grasshoppers and reduced the time to 6 hours, now with the flatlander and the s'burb'n turb'n we can cover it all in 4 hours flat. 40 horses on the turb'n, no substitute for horsepower. Lynn

3. toddman35

toddman35 LawnSite Member

if you still want a 25 kohler go with the exmark 72" but that would be underpowered if you were cutting thick grass, but probably OK if it was thin grass. You should look at the Exmark/Toro 26 Hp EFI 72", you can go 10 mph on those, so 72*10/120=6 a/h, well in that case get another 60" like you have but i would be skeptical (sp?) of the 25 hp kohlers, maybe you got a good one. hope this helps.

4. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

Exmark new engine lines are for the bigger decks. They are coming out in January. They have a 31 hp gas, 26 hp Diesel. They also have a 27 hp Liquid Cooled Kaw and a 26 hp Kohler. I ran the new diesel with a 72 deck, it was nice and extremly quiet. I would never buy a 72 deck, I think its just too big.

5. toddman35

toddman35 LawnSite Member

plus on the emxmark XP series, you can go 11 mph so that would make you be able, 72*11/120=6.6 a/hr. and the new diesel is 27 hp not 26. hope this helps.

6. luckylawnboy

luckylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member

Is threre any information on the new Exmarks on the internet?? I have also looked at the new the 72" 5000 series Diesel Dixie, But I have not herd a price, and if it is a lot more that a Flatlander, it would really have to outperform it to justify spending a couple more thousand on a mower.

7. John DiMartino

John DiMartino LawnSite Silver Member

I think the xxw4000-suburbn turban is on special now-and is about 5K less than the 41HP turbo diesel 72".5k buys a lot of fuel,but the yanmar should burn less than 1/2 fuel of the kohlers.I think the yanmar will outlast at least 8 kohler 20's.That is 4 sets,as they are used in the Subn-turban.

8. Eric ELM

Eric ELM Husband, Father, Friend, Angel

The 72" DC with the twin 20's will go 15 MPH so this would be the fastest and cheapest 72" other than the 25 HP 72" City Slicker. You can also get the 72" with the 26 HP Yanmar, but I feel the 25 Kohler and the 26 Yanmar would lack some power in tall grass. If you are mowing all your big properties weekly, they would be OK. The XXWD 5000 will be pricey compared to the XXW4000 and I think the XXW4000 is about the same as the XXWD2600. The XWD2600 will go 12 MPH, but I'm not sure on the XXWD2600.

I know of a guy in Kentucky that bought a new 72" Exmark and it broke down, so he borrowed a friends new XF2500 Flatlander 60" and mowed his properties in less time than it took with the 72" Exmark. He ended up buying a XFD2600 Flatlander diesel. This just points out that the size of a deck isn't always the fastest way to go.

9. Lawnworks

Lawnworks LawnSite Fanatic
    from usa

I have a DC XF2500 w/ a 25 kohler. The spec sheet says it will go 13 mph. I do not know if I believe this. Also, I raised my rpms to about 3730-3750. Will this help my top end? So far I am loving the chopper. I get alot of compliments and stares.

10. Cutter1

Cutter1 LawnSite Bronze Member

sorry todd....27 hp.