Advice on a 1998 John Deere F-620

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gl1200a, Feb 11, 2004.

1. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I have a local dealer that has a 1998 F-620 with the air cooled 20 hp engine. They have it marked down to $3795.00 for the unit with a 54" deck on it. Any advice on what i should offer or if would be a good first unit to start a busniess with?

Thank you

2. Pecker

Pecker LawnSite Bronze Member

What did it cost new? How many hours? Does it look like it was kept in a garage or left out in the weather? Does it look abused? Who owned it and for what? How was it maintained?

20hp on a 54 seems a little skimpy to me.

Also, any commercial Deere is a good first unit to start business with, provided it is the appropriate tool for the job.

3. mowin at the lake

mowin at the lake LawnSite Member

I had a 60inch with the bagger and the 20 hp Kohler and only kept it for a year. It was enough power on flat ground and 4-6 tall grass.

New with the bagger I think i paid about 10,200.
    The dealer replaced a few wheel motors and a pump.
    And i put a new short block in it at 350hrs due to the air filter bolt broke and dropped into the carb and proceeded to the left intake valve. The valve wore down the treads of the bolt and washed out the cylinder. The dealer said Kohler would NOT cover it.
    Since then we don't buy anymore JD equipment.. Kane

4. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

Well, I meant to post the information on the orginal request...

It has 587 hours on it and it looks to be in very good shape. No visible wear on the seat and no significant paint wear on the body or mower either. I'm not sure of past ownership yet as I haven't spoken to the dealer about it yet. Just seen in on their used lot.

I had a JD 345 with a 54" deck prior to this as a personal mower and only 18 hp and it seemed to handle the deck well even with power steering and all.

Thank you.

5. edward hedrick

edward hedrick LawnSite Senior Member

I demoed one in 1999. 54" deck with the catcher also had dual

rear casters. Mower is still in JD lineup. I gave it back to dealer

did not like how it performed on a side hill. Bought Scag STHM.

If yours is just the mower with a single Tail castor. Sounds like a good deal. ED