advice on a dry stack wall install

Discussion in 'Landscape Architecture and Design' started by CHEVYCRAIG, May 14, 2005.

1. CHEVYCRAIG

CHEVYCRAIG LawnSite Member

customer wants two small walls put in net to their house making small raised beds for plantings. One 7 in. high 17 ft. long by 4 ft. wide on the other side of the walkway 7in. high 23 ft. long 4 ft. wide. The walls will be flat stone dry stack either pa. blue stone or some form of a light tan color stone. There is about a 3 in. height difference 4 in. to 7 in., can put the pallets next to the job site and all on level ground.I will be back filling each bed with soil and then weed block material on top with the top covered in a pea size stone. Do I need some sort of gravel base for the dry stack or will the back fill hold it in place enough? this is my first wall install about how long will build the wall take in man hours? and any other comments will help also. THANK YOU

2. zinkjo

zinkjo LawnSite Member

I just estimated a dry stack wall. Looks like you will need 1 and 1/2 pallets. I would recommend putting in about 3" of crushed stone as a base to level it out and prevent sagging. As you build up the wall make sure you tamp the dirt behind the wall and lean the wall in a bit as you go. Man hours...I would say if 2 guys about 10-12 hours to build the wall.

3. CHEVYCRAIG

CHEVYCRAIG LawnSite Member

thanks for the reply.