1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Advice on a new push mower

Discussion in 'Starting a Lawn Care Business' started by THEoneandonlyLawnRanger, Sep 19, 2006.

1. THEoneandonlyLawnRanger

THEoneandonlyLawnRanger LawnSite Senior Member

Hey guys i need some advice, i got a new account that is a small yard thats too small for my WB and needs to be pushed, well my 20" 3.5 HP mower just doesnt have enough power and its a side discharge. I am looking for a 3 in 1 push mower, I have never used a Self propelled but i may go that way because i was tired of pushing the other day. I've heard that rear drive mowers are the way to go? Does anyone agree with this or have any other comments on push mowers? Also what brand should i look at, what are most of you guys using? thanks
  2. lisam

lisam LawnSite Member

Dear Lawn Ranger,

You Could Look At A Toro, Honda Or Lawn-boy Mower. The Toro's And Lawn-boys Will Mulch, Bag And Side Discharge. If You Are Considering A Rear Bag, You Absolutely Want Rear Wheel Drive. That's Where The Power Is When The Bag Fills Up, Otherwise, You Are Carrying The Weight Of The Bag. Also, No Tools To Change Over. The Honda's Will Mulch Or Bag, But You May Need To Purchase A Side Chute To Discharge. If You Only Have 1 Yard This Small, You Really Have No Need To Get Into A Real Expensive Commercial 21" Mower, So You Could Go With A Decent Homeowner Model. The Premium Toro Models Have An Aluminum Deck, Your Local Dealer Should Have A Trade-in Sale Now. The Aluminum Deck Toro's Mulch Alot Better Than The Steel Deck Toros. You Can Go With The Xenoy Deck On The Honda, That's The Better Of The Two. If You Have Anymore Questions, Call Me At Power Equipment Warehouse, I'd Be Happy To Answer Any ?'s You May Have. 800-769-3741. Good Luck. Lisa M.
  3. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

toro personal pace. i tried one and liked it.
  4. WJW Lawn

WJW Lawn LawnSite Bronze Member

You cant go wrong with a Toro, Honda or Lawn Boy. However...I wouldnt go dropping a ton of cash on one. I know they sell commercial 21's for a grand, but unless you cut stamp yards all week long...to me it's not worth it. Ive got an old MTD Yard Machine 4 1/2 briggs 3 in 1...and it gets worked maybe 15 minutes a week, but it does the job. When it dies...if it ever does...I'll go and get one of three I listed...but I wont budget alot for one.
  5. Matts lawn care

Matts lawn care LawnSite Senior Member
    from MD

you are right about the drive system. i had the same problem earler this year i got a toro 22" personal pace. it works great does whatever i need it to do. the drive system is push and go so u go as fast as u want it cost about $400.00
  6. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

I only used the mower for a short time-- But --- i liked how it went forward and it was easy to pull back:)
  7. thesargent

thesargent LawnSite Senior Member

honda. no ifs, ands, or buts!