1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Advice on a used Exmark Lazer Z

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by gl1200a, Mar 31, 2004.

1. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

I can get a used Exmark Lazer Z with 25 HP and a 60" deck. The unit has 2,000 on it and about 600 on the newer engine. New pumps and bearings last year. New mower spindles, blades, wheel bearings, repainted and decals now. I can get it for about $3600.00.

What do you think?

Thank you
  2. John Gamba

John Gamba LawnSite Fanatic
    from ct

What Year?
  3. bastalker

bastalker LawnSite Senior Member

2000 hours on it probably means 4 or 5 years old. If an lco owned it, it might be pretty used.....

Foe $3200, I am not going to buy anything that used. I will spend the extra, and buy new, or use the money for a new 48" w/b.....Dont like buying anything used, when your livelyhood depends on it.

If you cant afford a new lazer just yet, buy a new w/b, and save for the lazer.. Your getting brand new, an u know there wont be any problems...If something was to happen, let the warranty cover the cost...
  4. sawman65

sawman65 LawnSite Senior Member

this is a tough question, on one hand you have a 60" 25hp lazer
    this mower can get the job done and 3600.00 is not a bad deal....
    but 2000 hr is alot of hours i have seen some with as many as
    3500 hr and still look brand new with proper repair and upkeep
    what makes me wonder is why did your dealer have to paint it??
    i have sold many of this type and never painted one i have touched up a deck from time to time but never a decal and paint job
    ask your dealer who owned it befor you will he give you some kind of warranty on the hydro&engine systems? are there any past service records? some times i sell the same mower as many as three times as some are traded for new or upgraded and i keep all service records most dealers do
    just some of the questions you should ask before you buy a mower like this john@chuckmason equip.
  5. gl1200a

gl1200a LawnSite Senior Member

1999 on the year. It has been repainted and decaled for resale. He's sent me pics thru email of the units before the work was repainted and seems very honest. I am concerned about the hours and am looking for a cheaper way to get my first mower.

The guy is a Scag dealer and had 3 of these Exmarks traded in on new Scags. He has them listed on their website.

I am also looking at a John Deere F-620 with enough hours to need a new engine if I can find a site to price pumps and an engine for it. Where can I find the engine model and pump info for the F-620 and then some prices?

But, with the gas situation, I am considering a used John Deere diesel tractor so I can save on fuel and also pull an areator and fertilizer cart.

I know....but I'm trying to keep all in mind to get started.

Thank you for the great advice.
  6. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

It doesn't matter... everything is replaceable. That is alot of money for 200 hrs, but considering everything that has already been replaced on it, it's not bad. Is it near you to where you can go and look at it? I can tell you that you are going to have some hours wrapped up into this one if you get it. There is so much more that you are going to want to replace. For instance, you can rest assured that things like the deck struts will need to be changed (with you foot, push on the side of the deck, and see how much sway you get). Also, things like control levers, and brake control pivot points will have alot of wear on them. All in all though, I would say that it MAY not be a bad deal. I would just drive it, and run it a little hard, and FOR AWHILE to know what it does after it gets good and hot. Good luck with it!
  7. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

You'd have to "do the math" and see if it pays. I personally would not risk spending that kind of dough on a used mower that has that many hours of use on it. If you're buying used because you can't afford the payments on a new one, then how will you be able to afford the obviously higher repair bills? And most importantly, the down time? That can be much more expensive to you than the repairs themselves.

I didn't catch if they provided documentation for the "new engine" and other parts. They might be older than you think. Painted mowers are often rusty mowers.

To me, the ideal purchase of an old mower like this is for a situation where you have to have the machine, but don't need it much. Like buying a 36" used mower for back yards only, or any wb just for the few steep hills and ditches you do. But for day in, day out use, I would buy new or nearly new.

I had a somewhat smaller lazer, but I bought new for around $6000, ran it for 4.5 years, and sold it for $3500 with 1100 hours. So it depreciated just $2.25/hour or so. Your used mower would need to last 1600 more hours to equal that per-hour rate. Will it? Not w/o some more big dollar repairs, probably.

I agree with others who say buy less mower if you can't afford a newer one of this caliber. I see decent midsize ZTR's that are a lot newer on Ebay all the time for about that price range. Buying a very productive big mower that is broken a lot will wipe out your time savings in a hurry.
  8. Runner

Runner LawnSite Fanatic

This is a valid and good point. If you don't do the work yourself, then it IS going to be a losing deal. In our case, we do ALL of our work, from welding to engine rebuilds. You really do have to figure the numbers for yourself on this. I'm glad that Bruce brought this up, because it really IS more realistic for probably atleast half of the operators out there.
  9. Luscious Lawns

Luscious Lawns LawnSite Member

Hello gl1200a

If the engine and hydro pumps have been replaced the big ticket fix items have ben replaced. Exmart mowers are a tough bunch. Also do not equate 0 mower hours to 0 dountime. I have a 7 year old lazer Z with over 1600 hours on it, and the only time it was at the shop was the day I bought it. The silanoid stuck and spun the engine until I disconnected the battery. This was repaired by the dealer but like the other posts say the down time will kill you. Keep in mind the 4k+ difference between this and a new unit will buy a lot of maintance.

Also if you are going to cut hills stay away from front mounts.

10. brucec32

brucec32 LawnSite Platinum Member

hydro motors $400 ea plus labor
    electric clutch $250 plus labor
    new deck when the one they painted over to hide damage cracks open near stressed spot $2000 (have you inspected it on both sides carefully?)
    I've seen a sturdy looking tubular steel frame on a mower break when old...rusted from inside (admitedly less likely w/ Exmark)
    small stuff (starter, electrical gremlins, seat, control rods and hardware, etc)

There are still more goodies to break on this mower. I found the small items cost you more than the big ticket ones, sometimes. Something small breaks and you still have to get the mower to a shop, wait on the parts, wait on the repair, pick it up again, etc, etc. Even in house, you're using valuable labor time fixing it and can't mow with it till it's ready again.

Remember, if you always think in terms of "cash flow" where everything cheap seems best, you will always be behind. Buy it only if it is more PROFITABLE to do so.

I would also notice that to carry the mower past 1400 hours they've had to do about $3500 worth of repairs/replacement on it if you go by that list of parts changed alone. Why would you expect any less for the next 1400? (or 800 for the engine, since its older)

Your purchase price of $3600 plus $3500 more on repairs = $7100. Getting close to the new price isn't it?

And don't forget resale value! Your '99 mower with gadzillions of hours on it won't be worth much down the line compared to a '04 model bought today. What you spend extra now you may make up later.

I have a '98 wb myself I bought last year for $500 and fixed up for a total of around "$800 in it. Works fine. But is it my bread and butter daily use unit? No way. It was my wet day mower for properties I couldn't put a ztr on when wet, and backed up the ztr when it went down (a new one, ha!) It's also a much much simpler belt drive unit, where no parts other than the engine itself are very expensive or complex.

downtime when any little thing breaks $50/hour +