Advice on acquiring Commercial Accounts

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by newbomb, Aug 15, 2006.

1. newbomb

newbomb LawnSite Senior Member

I am interested in trying to acquire some commercial mowing accounts for next year. I am thimking small industrial park type accounts with any given property an acre or less. What i don't know is how to aproach potential clients and when. I also am not sure how commercial pricing goes. I my area it is the norm to charge $60 per acre cut and trim for residential work. Is there much difference in price for commercial work. I am hoping to get more reliable accounts with guaranteed work every week. Any Thoughts?

2. SodKing

SodKing LawnSite Bronze Member

I am not sure a company would deal with a 15 year old...

3. newbomb

I don't know where you got your info but last time I checked my license it says Im 41!!!!!

4. Liquidfast

Liquidfast LawnSite Senior Member
    from Ontario

From your profile....Sodking ASS-umed you were 15 years old. Not knowing it was 15 yrs in the biznaz.

5. SodKing

Based on this new info I would suggest you take a course on filling out forms/contracts etc...so you can get the info right. Liquidfast is correct, your profile says you are 15.

That being said, try networking within the members of your local Chamber of Commerce.

6. GreenClips

GreenClips LawnSite Member

i don't know what those other guys are talking about it says you have been in the business for 15 years not that you are 15 years old maybe Theseus guys should take a course on how to read things

7. MMLawn

MMLawn LawnSite Gold Member

Try the SEARCH FEATURE on here as this question has been ask and answered thousands of times on here. A couple of dozen probably in the past couple months alone. You've been on here long enough to know to SEARCH first.

8. SodKing

I believe he fixed it...

9. Tharrell

Tharrell LawnSite Silver Member

Do you want to know the truth? Knowing someone or being in the right place at the right time is about 99%. Then there are the strictly low bids.
    I like commercial work because it's consistant and you don't have a finicky, irritating homeowner to deal with.
    If you throw enough mud on the wall, some is bound to stick.
    Hey, my best commercial was a chance encounter.
    I was getting gas at a new station and the manager asked me if I cut lawns (yeah I was there with my trailer).
    It's turned out to be my best single account. Most of these type accounts want every 10 days and won't want any extras like seeding and fert. This guy requests all of it.

10. newbomb

Thank you Thats what I thought. It's just like finding resi work just different clientel. It seems many here have an axe to grind or maybe they couldn't answer my question. If someone took the time to read and respond to me why not just answer the question?

Thank you Tharell.