Advice on bidding an apartment complex

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Javelin14, Mar 26, 2001.

1. Javelin14

Javelin14 LawnSite Member

We are about to bid on an apartment complex. This will be our first commercial account and we're wondering what traps we could be getting into. We use a wheel measure to determine sq. ft and linear ft. of trimming. We have our general libaility insurance in place and will be able to provide the apt. mgr. proof of our insurance. We will be staying consistent with what other cutters are charging (unless the others are lowballing to get the work)

We're green so any advice will be greatly appreciated.

2. kutnkru

kutnkru LawnSite Silver Member

I dont think that you have to wqorry about sabotage, but I would make sure that you keep some things in mind when bidding on apt and condos etc.

First. Always make sure that you use a contract. Keep things simple, yet make sure that you cover all the bases: Mowing, Fert, Renovations, Ornamental Bed Maintenace, Seasonal Clean-Ups, Pavement Maintenance.

Make sure that you have your billing specified and terms for late, non-payment etc.

Second. I would recommend that you think about all the obstacles that you may have to move or work around when performing the services they have requested.

There might be grills, toys, furniture, clothes, etc., etc., etc. and the list goes on and on.

I would also take into account that there will probably be cars pulled over the curbing so you may have to come back if they are finicky.

Third. Just make sure that you think about the property and troubleshoot things before you give them a price.

Good Luck this season!
  3. GREG R

GREG R LawnSite Member

ask about who picks up trash
    on several of our complexs the
    maintenance man does it every morning
    but on others we are suppose to do it,
    and its not easy to pick-up a 20 acre
    complex of small paper blowing in the wind.
    Watch out for Metal pipes (water and electic, gas)
    sticking out of the ground near buildings.
    look at the locations of parking lots compared
    to the turf areas remember you have to blow them
    off when you are done, and sidewalks too.
    And remember they look at low prices so stick
    to your price and don't get your hopes up to
    high, or you will feel like it was your fault when
    you don't get the bid....there will be more to come.
    good luck with the bid.
  4. landscaper3

landscaper3 LawnSite Bronze Member

We maintain many condominiums from 12 units to 70 unit condos. 1ST is to make sure your language on your contract is CLEAR!! They and you know what the contract consists of and what is optional or extra. Proof of insurance is needed, Make sure you are in direct contact with the president of the association and finance person. You must also remember this is there home and you are maintaining it to increase there property value (a quote I use) Also try to mow and other misc work towards weeks end Thursday or Friday this again is there home and might want it quite on weekends so tell them you will aim for a Thursday or Friday schedule to look nice for the weekends (weather permitting)
    Stay in monthly contact with them use this tool of monthly contact with the president and keep them informed of needed work or just to say everything is fine (communication does wonders) So put in a honest bid and sell your company as one of the best and your on your way!!!! Good luck and let me know how it goes.