1. Missed the live Ask the Expert event?
    Not to worry. Check out the archived thread of the Q&A with Ken Hutcheson, President of U.S. Lawns, and the LawnSite community in the Franchising forum .

Dismiss Notice

Advice on buying a Walker

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by Turf Tamers, Jan 20, 2005.

1. Turf Tamers

Turf Tamers LawnSite Member

I am considering adding new Walker Mower to my fleet. Can anyone using a Walker in a commercial application advise if the unit is worth the money in terms of quality of cut and maintenance? Dealer claims the Walker is the top of its class!
  2. Lawnchoice

Lawnchoice LawnSite Senior Member

Having owned Walkers for years now I can comment a bit but have some questions first.

What type of properties are you going to be using the Walker on?
    Do you plan on bagging everything on these properties?

The Walker is meant to do what a Walker is built for, at least with the GHS decks that I have owned.

It's slow but cuts the probably the best out of anything I have ever owned. Sucks up most anything you put in front of it too. It is really meant to handle the tight, well landscaped properties. At least for my part of the country.

Maintenance is somewhat a bear with many different zerks, just keep that in mind. But if you do get one and take care of it, the thing will last for years down the road.
  3. Royalslover

Royalslover LawnSite Senior Member

I also can speak from experience. I put 3000 hours on my first Walker. Only buy it if you plan to bag a lot. If you are going to use it to bag you will wonder how you got along without it. If you can possibly afford it buy the diesel or find a low hour gas Kabota. In my 3000 hours on the gas I never touched the engine. If you get it make sure and keep all those gear boxes full of oil.
  4. shepoutside

shepoutside LawnSite Bronze Member

As stated above, for tight property, with lots of trim work, they are great , and will make you time, and money. They are great for spring cleanups, and for fall cleanups, and the best for bagging too, and deck options make them versatile. Two of mine, get winter duty too, with snowblowers for my condo properties. If you are mowing fields, then best to look for something faster IMO.
  5. Olylawnboy

Olylawnboy LawnSite Senior Member
    from Oly Wa

Walker, there is no substitute!.....
  6. marko

marko LawnSite Senior Member

Used them in the past (all walkbehinds now). The best for hard to manuver properties that you are bagging. I have heard that the side discharge deck are good as well. There is a kit to speed them up, but you will probably be defeating the purpose. 6mph on a tight yard is more than enough. Never got anything but stares and compliments from passerbys and customers. Stripes great from the factory and changing blades is great w/ the flip up deck.