Advice on buying used exmark zero turn?

Discussion in 'Lawn Mowing' started by D6c, Jun 11, 2008.

1. D6c

D6c LawnSite Member
    from IA

I've been looking for a used exmark ZTR (about 52") but not many are available locally and I'm a little leary of buying on e-bay.

I've seen several machines that look like the hour meter was changed...did Exmark ever use screws to mount the hour meter or were they always rivets like I've seen on newer ones?

2. J&R Landscaping

J&R Landscaping LawnSite Fanatic

Not sure with Exmark in general but as far as changing the hour meter, thats a somewhat common thing. My dealer says he sells usually 1 or 2 per week most of the season.

3. Laner

Laner LawnSite Senior Member

4. D6c

D6c LawnSite Member
    from IA

Laner,
    I'd consider Toro, but as I see yours has a bagger which I wouldn't need....Don't know a lot about Toro, but I gather there a good machine, the main difference from Exmark being a different mower deck.

5. ealbertson

ealbertson LawnSite Senior Member

Yes, the older eXmark hour meters were not attached using rivets.

6. Laner

Laner LawnSite Senior Member

D6c,
    Yes, I do have the DFS bagger on the machine in the pics. I have removed it for mowing, we only use it in the Fall for clean-ups. I may have someone that is interested in the bagger portion. Let me know if you are interested in just teh mower.

7. D6c

D6c LawnSite Member
    from IA

Laner,
    Thanks for the offer, but I think I've made a deal on a used Exmark....going to get it this weekend.

8. tacoma200

tacoma200 LawnSite Fanatic

Your better off looking at the machine in general. Look at the trim side of the deck, that will tell you a lot. Most hr meters are correct but many are not. They are easy to unplug also. The seat is a good wear indicator also.