Advice on Compost Spreader

Discussion in 'Organic Lawn Care' started by replenish&subdue, Jan 8, 2009.

1. phasthound

phasthound LawnSite Platinum Member

I confess to hiring an 18 yr old to shovel this year. He wasn't very fast, but he could do it every day and I could get out of bed much easier every day. :)

2. Barefoot James

Barefoot James LawnSite Senior Member

I talked to onebreezer and he can do two a day (if needed) but is putting 7 yards of material on per site - aeration and filling in low spots. He does 150 to 200 of these properties each year and making big $$$. Sounds like a great operation to me! His dressing material sounds pretty cool too - stumps with roots that have been ground up with dirt/sand attached and composted then sifted into a dark rich loamy material full of OM. About 1 yard per 1000 sf.

3. adam.neusbaum

adam.neusbaum LawnSite Senior Member

This is partly why I prefer my Turfco Mete-R-Matic over the Ecolawn. With the Turfco I can easily tell where I've already been & covered. Not so wth the Eco-lawn. Running the two machines on the same yard was maddening until we designated the backyard to Ecolawn(faster groundspeed) and the Turfco does the front.
    If I could buy an Ecolawn tomorrow for $2500, I'd do it because of it's speed and ease of use (1/3 the weight of the Turfco) but you can't and when I can purchase a used Turfco for $2100 and less then that's definitely the way for me. Anyone have an Ecolawn they want to sell me for $2500?

4. adam.neusbaum

Conveyor truck- What's that look like? Make/model/Expensive? I've looked at them all (so I think) and find them unaffordable at this time. I'm tired of driving to refill after each job since my F350 dumptruck can only hold a maximum of 7 yards.

5. adam.neusbaum

Believe it or not if you just idle while spreading, you can do even the smallest yards. Whereas with the Turfco's we'd be banging into things and still missing areas.

04082010 Droids 104.jpg